2022 YUKON SLT 5.3 - LIFTERS ADVICE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Appleman88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I too had the bad news on my Yukon 2022 SLT. I purchased it 12/26/2021 for my Christmas present for my self and it has been a nightmare since. Right off the lot I had a "transmission hot idle engine error" when driving home. That took about 3 visits to various dealers to finally figure out and when finally resolved the issue, the truck had about 1780 miles. Ended up being a twisted transmission fluid line. I was glad they figured it out but I'm sure I overheated the tranny fluid quite a few tiimes in-between. The alarm does not go off until 266degrees which I would have to drive at least an hour to replicate. So, quite a few drives where the temp went to 250+. Truck seemed to run fine since.

Now, at 7300 miles got the dreaded "service esc" "service traction control" & "forward collision system unavailable" Towed to a local dealer and they confirmed misfire on #8 cylinder and collaped lifter. I am at my wits end with this truck! I still owe 68K or so but they have totally ruined my new cay buying experience and I don't know what to do about it. I DON'T WANT THIS TRUCK ANYMORE! THIS IS ********!

DO YOU GUYS FEEL THIS TRUCK WOULD BE RELIABLE AFTER ALL OF THESE PROBLEMS? HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD ANYMORE ISSUES AFTER LIFTERS WERE REPLACED? WONDERING IF I SHOULD GET RID OF THIS VEHICLE AND TRADE IN FOR ANOTHER ONE. I'M SURE ILL TAKE A BIG LOSS.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd work with GM customer care on this one. With that low of miles, they might be able to give you something for piece of mind. Sorry about your present being a dud....

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd ask for a complementary 100k bumper to bumper warranty to ensure you will stay a customer. Then you have a safety net nationwide for travels, etc

Trahan20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I too had the bad news on my Yukon 2022 SLT. I purchased it 12/26/2021 for my Christmas present for my self and it has been a nightmare since. Right off the lot I had a "transmission hot idle engine error" when driving home. That took about 3 visits to various dealers to finally figure out and when finally resolved the issue, the truck had about 1780 miles. Ended up being a twisted transmission fluid line. I was glad they figured it out but I'm sure I overheated the tranny fluid quite a few tiimes in-between. The alarm does not go off until 266degrees which I would have to drive at least an hour to replicate. So, quite a few drives where the temp went to 250+. Truck seemed to run fine since.

Now, at 7300 miles got the dreaded "service esc" "service traction control" & "forward collision system unavailable" Towed to a local dealer and they confirmed misfire on #8 cylinder and collaped lifter. I am at my wits end with this truck! I still owe 68K or so but they have totally ruined my new cay buying experience and I don't know what to do about it. I DON'T WANT THIS TRUCK ANYMORE! THIS IS ********!

DO YOU GUYS FEEL THIS TRUCK WOULD BE RELIABLE AFTER ALL OF THESE PROBLEMS? HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD ANYMORE ISSUES AFTER LIFTERS WERE REPLACED? WONDERING IF I SHOULD GET RID OF THIS VEHICLE AND TRADE IN FOR ANOTHER ONE. I'M SURE ILL TAKE A BIG LOSS.
Sorry to hear that, man. 2022 Yukon SLT as well. Took delivery the same month you did, and my lifters failed at just over 9,000 miles this past Friday. :(

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 2006 I bought a lemon. First new car my wife and I had ever bought, searched the state for a vehicle with all the options we wanted.

We lost count on how many times it was in the shop, several times over a month each. The upside was all the cool cars we got to drive in the meantime. My wife wanted to lemon law the thing but I persisted in keeping it. She was right, it just wasn't made right despite being a 2nd year model but the last year they were made.

Anyhow, once the warranty expired, the car ran beautifully for another 85K miles, just maintenance until the transmission gave up the ghost.

For you folks, once the lifter issue is resolved, they will continue to be wonderful vehicles. I talked to a lady filling hers up the a couple weeks ago, she loves it too and also had the lifters go right after purchase but it has been trouble free ever since.

Since your fluid got so hot a couple of time, change it. Don't wait for 42K or whatever the severe service schedule is for yours.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, man. 2022 Yukon SLT as well. Took delivery the same month you did, and my lifters failed at just over 9,000 miles this past Friday. :(
What was the date of manufacture of your vehicle?
Thought GM had this traced to a certain date range of engines..didn't expect to see any 22's with it...but if they were early enough in the run, its possible...
My 6.2L is at 8500 miles right now..so far so good.

OP
OP
A

Appleman88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It sucks, but I must admit I love this truck! I don't know what I would replace it with even if they gave me my money back. I think the 2023 are coming out with less features than what we have becuase of the shortages. I hope you get yours out soon

OP
OP
A

Appleman88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In 2006 I bought a lemon. First new car my wife and I had ever bought, searched the state for a vehicle with all the options we wanted.

We lost count on how many times it was in the shop, several times over a month each. The upside was all the cool cars we got to drive in the meantime. My wife wanted to lemon law the thing but I persisted in keeping it. She was right, it just wasn't made right despite being a 2nd year model but the last year they were made.

Anyhow, once the warranty expired, the car ran beautifully for another 85K miles, just maintenance until the transmission gave up the ghost.

For you folks, once the lifter issue is resolved, they will continue to be wonderful vehicles. I talked to a lady filling hers up the a couple weeks ago, she loves it too and also had the lifters go right after purchase but it has been trouble free ever since.

Since your fluid got so hot a couple of time, change it. Don't wait for 42K or whatever the severe service schedule is for yours.
Thanks for the feedback. Not sure if it's in my head but since I got the truck back I feel like I smell this scent of overheated radiator water kind of like what you smell when a car blows a head gasket.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Not sure if it's in my head but since I got the truck back I feel like I smell this scent of overheated radiator water kind of like what you smell when a car blows a head gasket.
If that's just from taking her apart and putting her back together again, that all should burn off in a few days at most. Consider checking around under the hood for anything amiss at the end of each day until you're satisfied.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods