40,000 Mile Report

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carterchapman

Reaction score
My 2021 Escalade just rolled over 40,000 miles.

No dreaded lifter problems yet. It was built after the improved lifters went in production after March 21. I'm not a high rev driver and regular oil changes.

Love the 10 speed tranny - butter smooth. 23 mpg highway. DFM activation is smooth as well.

Wish the display showed two more things: which cylinders are deactivated and what gear the transmission is in when driving in "D"...

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. SO awesome that CARB / EPA does not allow GM to allow customers to opt into or out of the cylinder confusion feature, unless they buy a 6.6L L8T.

2. Some say 'regular'=3000. I say 3500. Some say 5000. Some say 7500. Some say "I follow the Oil Life Monitor". What say you?

3a. GM calls it Dynamic Fuel Management. Tula Tech calls it Dynamic Skip Fire. I regret how damnedably long it took me to come up with ...
... Cylinder Confusion ... you'd all be wise to refer to this feature properly.
A V8 with Cylinder Confusion has SEVENTEEN different firing orders, alternating between V8, V7, V6, V5, V4, V3 and/or V2 modeS.
Having 17 different firing orders maintains very consistent cylinder temperatures and wear, and allows Cylinder Confusion to remain in effect far longer than the previous version, 'Cylinder Half-assinanity'.
Point is, a display that attempted to show the driver which cylinders happen to be deactivated in real time would ...
Come to think of it, that actually might look ... AWESOME ... although some kind of a seizure warning might be advisable ...

3b. I would actually appreciate something like this. I think, however, we should first lobby to have the 'Check Engine' light replaced by
The actual trouble codeS displayed without having to drive a vehicle to the mechanic that I maybe should've towed and pay them extra money to tell me the codes.
"But there's an app for that"
If the '96 Roadmasters' and Fleetwoods' radios were able to show the driver the trouble codes without an app, WHY DO WE NEED AN APP?

:sleepy::sleepy10:

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2021 Escalade just rolled over 40,000 miles.

No dreaded lifter problems yet. It was built after the improved lifters went in production after March 21. I'm not a high rev driver and regular oil changes.

Love the 10 speed tranny - butter smooth. 23 mpg highway. DFM activation is smooth as well.

Wish the display showed two more things: which cylinders are deactivated and what gear the transmission is in when driving in "D"...
Nice report.

My ‘21 Tahoe had the lifter issue at 9,100 miles but they only replaced half of the lifters or the affected bank/side. I keep thinking the other side will go bad soon but so far I’m at 28k miles and 3 years old and no issues at all.

In fact if it wasn’t for the lifter issue the thing has been flawless.

I did have to replace my 22” Bridgestone tires recently at 27k miles due to the tread wear being low at 3-4/32 of tread left and was annoyed it would hydroplane whenever it rained. My new Pirelli tires are so much better but also considered Michelin’s.

OP
OP
C

carterchapman

Reaction score
Nice report.

My ‘21 Tahoe had the lifter issue at 9,100 miles but they only replaced half of the lifters or the affected bank/side. I keep thinking the other side will go bad soon but so far I’m at 28k miles and 3 years old and no issues at all.

In fact if it wasn’t for the lifter issue the thing has been flawless.

I did have to replace my 22” Bridgestone tires recently at 27k miles due to the tread wear being low at 3-4/32 of tread left and was annoyed it would hydroplane whenever it rained. My new Pirelli tires are so much better but also considered Michelin’s.
What was your manufacturing date?

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a 2021 Denali w/6.2L last August from Hertz with 49K miles. We're up to 53K ( towing at 5300lb trailer) and it's running smoothly - very nice towing/ride :).

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was your manufacturing date?
Vehicle mfg date is March 29, 2021 but the Julian build date on the engine is Feb 11, 2021 which is right in that window of known bad lifters.

Here’s the hilarious part…while it was in the shop GM updated the TSB stating to replace all lifters if under 16k miles and it falls within the bad lifter dates (thought that was Oct2020 through March 15, 2021). I tried to get them to do all of them after discovering that but since it was just out of the shop their argument was GM bases it on the date the shop ticket was opened and that of course fell right before the TSB was updated.

OP
OP
C

carterchapman

Reaction score
Vehicle mfg date is March 29, 2021 but the Julian build date on the engine is Feb 11, 2021 which is right in that window of known bad lifters.

Here’s the hilarious part…while it was in the shop GM updated the TSB stating to replace all lifters if under 16k miles and it falls within the bad lifter dates (thought that was Oct2020 through March 15, 2021). I tried to get them to do all of them after discovering that but since it was just out of the shop their argument was GM bases it on the date the shop ticket was opened and that of course fell right before the TSB was updated.
Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. SO awesome that CARB / EPA does not allow GM to allow customers to opt into or out of the cylinder confusion feature, unless they buy a 6.6L L8T.

2. Some say 'regular'=3000. I say 3500. Some say 5000. Some say 7500. Some say "I follow the Oil Life Monitor". What say you?

3a. GM calls it Dynamic Fuel Management. Tula Tech calls it Dynamic Skip Fire. I regret how damnedably long it took me to come up with ...
... Cylinder Confusion ... you'd all be wise to refer to this feature properly.
A V8 with Cylinder Confusion has SEVENTEEN different firing orders, alternating between V8, V7, V6, V5, V4, V3 and/or V2 modeS.
Having 17 different firing orders maintains very consistent cylinder temperatures and wear, and allows Cylinder Confusion to remain in effect far longer than the previous version, 'Cylinder Half-assinanity'.
Point is, a display that attempted to show the driver which cylinders happen to be deactivated in real time would ...
Come to think of it, that actually might look ... AWESOME ... although some kind of a seizure warning might be advisable ...

3b. I would actually appreciate something like this. I think, however, we should first lobby to have the 'Check Engine' light replaced by
The actual trouble codeS displayed without having to drive a vehicle to the mechanic that I maybe should've towed and pay them extra money to tell me the codes.
"But there's an app for that"
If the '96 Roadmasters' and Fleetwoods' radios were able to show the driver the trouble codes without an app, WHY DO WE NEED AN APP?

:sleepy::sleepy10:
Dynamic Skip Fire has been around for a while the old 3800 series had it(only in overheat condition )

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dynamic Skip Fire has been around for a while.
The old 3800 series had it (only in overheat condition).
Even when a 3800 overheated, it would not choose between 13 different firing orders.
It might stop firing fuel at two or three cylinders to air cool itself once the coolant temp exceeds 239F -
if not even hotter, which would be too late - but in order to air cool itself the valves would need to continue operating normally.

Cylinder Confusion would be - IS - in effect during normal operating temperatures to save fuel,
using complicated valve lifters the 3800 never had.

By the way, what you're talking about - NorthStar V8s had an air-cooled V4mode during overheat as well.
NorthStar V8s never had Cylinder Confusion, and they didn't have Engine Half@$$ either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019