4 Piston Big Brake Upgrade from 2019-20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
fasteddy

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well See,
Its always a test in the aftermarket world.
I'll do SS lines and high friction pads to compensate for any pedal/boost issues. Thats just risk mitigation, not a known issue.

BTW, I've done Wilwood 6P calipers on another tahoe. You have to grind on the spindle for about 30 mins per side to get that braket to fit.
Not exactly bolt on. And they sent me a scored new rotor that had to be returned. I had to PAY for a new one until they got their NEW core back.
Their customer service sucks too.

R&D is sometimes painful but always exciting! Its part of the resto fun. I enjoy it.

Success favors the positive thinker.

I haven't seen any silverado conversion brake failures on youtube, so I think its worth a try.

My current brakes suck so anything has to be an improvement.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, I think we're all in agreement that Silverado's are not race cars. Obviously, the fellow who did exactly what you stated couldn't even get his truck to screech to a halt because his system was a total mismatch of components. My comments were to those who might blindly choose to follow the somewhat misguided internet "how to" video. Some, (many?) forum members may not be aware that upgrading your brake system is not plug n' play like plugging in the USB of a different mouse on your computer. To be generous, it would be surprising if anyone could successfully simply change from their two piston slide caliper system to a 4 or 6 pot system in the front and a 4 pot rear without a master cylinder modification and not have deleterious effects on their braking system. And you have it on good authority I assume, what brake modifications that General Motors' attorneys support...
I have Wilwood’s massive 6 piston 16” fronts and 4 piston 14.25” rears on my 02 Denali and my 08 Silverado and believe me they work awesome. ABS works as designed. Relax, this mod will work great.

ThisIsLivin

Reaction score
What do you mean my Denali isn't a race car? My Denali drifts through corners better than most cars I've owned. I put it in tow mode and it keeps the trans in the perfect gear for hot rodding, of course after a few tuning mods. It steers with the gas perfectly. Granted it's nowhere near my Callaway Corvette, but it's still fun and keeps my skills sharp.

01subCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased all my parts.but im waiting on my rotors cause if I'm running these pretty calipers wanna have nice rotors to.running 24s on my suburban so you can see them pretty good

Calipers from gmpartsgiant.com 79.00 each plus shipping I think

I went with raybestos pads half the price if gm and by there site suppose to be alittle better.
Raybestos element 3 hybrids. 42.00 of ebay!

And for the cross drilled rotors I got powerstops.those were really tough to find.got them from carid.says they won't ship till April 30.they were 155 but the hammered me 40.00 for shipping on top.

I already have the 07 upgrade so very curious to see the difference!

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
I just purchased all my parts.but im waiting on my rotors cause if I'm running these pretty calipers wanna have nice rotors to.running 24s on my suburban so you can see them pretty good

Calipers from gmpartsgiant.com 79.00 each plus shipping I think

I went with raybestos pads half the price if gm and by there site suppose to be alittle better.
Raybestos element 3 hybrids. 42.00 of ebay!

And for the cross drilled rotors I got powerstops.those were really tough to find.got them from carid.says they won't ship till April 30.they were 155 but the hammered me 40.00 for shipping on top.

I already have the 07 upgrade so very curious to see the difference!
This is the upgrade i want to hear about.07 upgrade already done now let us no how much better or worse it is-honest test.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too am anxiously awaiting test results. But it needs to be a proper test...

Remember that for a single stopping event for a modern vehicle with a properly functioning braking system (ABS or not), the limit of braking is not the diameter of the disc, or the pad area. It is the tire contact patch area and the maximum static friction it can generate. If the brakes are powerful enough to lock the wheels, the only way to improve braking (again, in the case of a single stop) is to improve tire traction. All that to say, a single stop isn't likely to tell you anything about brake performance improvement unless your system had an issue preventing lockup before the swap.

Bigger brakes are beneficial because if you make multiple stops in rapid succession, or have to brake a very large load, such as when towing, you get better heat dissipation. This reduces the likelihood that the brakes will fade and lose effectiveness.

So, a proper test needs to be multiple stops in close succession to see how long it takes for stopping distance to increase due to fading. For me, a good result in such a test would convince me to upgrade, since I sometimes tow heavy, and have to contend with mile-long steep descents on occasion.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Except that a full-on ABS stop is maybe 1% of what brakes get used for over their life. That is just like only talking about max HP for a camshaft, it only makes that max HP at WOT at 6k RPM. The other 99% is what matters, what does that torque curve look like? Braking is improved at all speeds and modulation with bigger brakes.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Except that a full-on ABS stop is maybe 1% of what brakes get used for over their life. That is just like only talking about max HP for a camshaft, it only makes that max HP at WOT at 6k RPM. The other 99% is what matters, what does that torque curve look like? Braking is improved at all speeds and modulation with bigger brakes.
A full-on stop is a quick test method. I never said it represented real-world common usage.

When you say "improved", what exactly do you mean? Are you talking about brake effectiveness for a given amount of brake pedal force?

Last edited:

oh05ext

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
im interested in the outcome of this. id love a 13.5" front rotor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM