4 Piston Big Brake Upgrade from 2019-20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThisIsLivin

Reaction score
I put the Baer brake upgrade on my Denali with Power Stop pads on the front and the Power Stop rotors and pads on the rear. It stops almost as good as my Callaway Corvette. I'm interested in the upgrade to the calipers, just concerned that going to a 4 piston caliper about the master cylinder volume. I used to work at GM and I remember back then they had to upgrade the master cylinder when they came out with the Crew cab because the small amount the longer steel lines expanded used enough volume to require the change. I would like to know how the change effects pedal travel. Please keep us informed.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put the Baer brake upgrade on my Denali with Power Stop pads on the front and the Power Stop rotors and pads on the rear. It stops almost as good as my Callaway Corvette. I'm interested in the upgrade to the calipers, just concerned that going to a 4 piston caliper about the master cylinder volume. I used to work at GM and I remember back then they had to upgrade the master cylinder when they came out with the Crew cab because the small amount the longer steel lines expanded used enough volume to require the change. I would like to know how the change effects pedal travel. Please keep us informed.

As long as you properly bleed your system correctly there should be no issue.

OP
OP
fasteddy

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Secondly, they want $181 for caliper. There was a dealer about 1.5hr from me, but don't have that time right now.

I have done countless brake upgrades on GM trucks and have never had an issue with the ABS. Whether larger OEM GM calipers on a different application or building a custom Wilwood set up for my 04 Colorado.

Online GM parts houses have em for 74.59
I don't know if the brake pads are per side or you get the full set.

Most brake systems are the same conceptually.....pressure, pad area, and clamping force.

I'm not deterred and more concerned with my current baby brakes on a 5000lb vehicle.

Just collecting data and wondering why nobody on this site has done this upgrade.

I think the constraint is going caliper/wheel interference but that's not a new issue in the aftermarket.
And when I was at the dealer the other day many different wheels cleared....of course all stock ones did but also
there were a few trucks prepped with aftermarket 18s, 20s, and 22s.....Fuel wheels and Methods.

My sub has some OEM honking big brakes but those are 22 inch wheels and I can't size down for a fatter tire. There's no room.
But I love these brakes! They will pull your eyeballs out, LOL. And I'm not putting 22s on my 03 tahoe.

Sub_Wheel.jpg

AN292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well just got back from the dealership (one that has always done right by me). There is a national back order in my region. And the few dealers that have the calipers will not sell them unless you have a VIN.

Secondly, they want $181 for caliper. There was a dealer about 1.5hr from me, but don't have that time right now.

I have done countless brake upgrades on GM trucks and have never had an issue with the ABS. Whether larger OEM GM calipers on a different application or building a custom Wilwood set up for my 04 Colorado.

As long as you have a properly operating or maintained braking system you should be fine. As far as the YouTube or Wiki engineers........take what they say with a grain of salt and a shot of something. Hot Rodders have been proving them wrong for years.

Do your research, look at the reviews and go from there. Don't let a single hear say post scare you. I have found over the 20 years of being on car/truck forums one thing always holds true.....those who say, no, engineer this or have never truly wrenched on a car will always be the first to say, don't do it. They're just scared or don't have the skill to make things happen or work.

That's just my .02

Thanks for the advice man.

This is where I got the calipers

https://www.gmpartsstore.com/

7Nlz3BD.jpg

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lawd!! You guys suck!!! . Some how I just ordered some mo calipers!! Oh well. Probably better anyways. I will just return the 08 stuff since it's still new in the boxes.

Screenshot_20210401-161436_Email.jpg

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ I was just looking there too LOL

Shipping for me is $50, guess you're closer to the warehouse

EDIT: you guys suck................mine will arrive on 7 or 8 April.

Last edited:

AN292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:gathering:

Lol im really curious how these will stop. Im also looking at stop tech steel lines.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha! So my only concern is the splash shields. I'm not in any rush. The 2008 stuff has been in boxes in my garage since December. I didn't see the junkyard guy get the splash shields or am I missing something??? Also going to order some Goodridge SS hoses. I really just wanted the calipers before we drive the costs up!!

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I'm going to paint my calipers red!! Going to look good behind my Trailboss wheels. These might actually get installed quicker than the other ones.

20201228_131145.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec