24mm Ball Joint Separator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I recently replaced my upper and lower control arms this past fall on my 2012, I didn't use anything special, just whacked the side a couple times with a 2lb hand sledge and they popped loose.
Lucky dog!

I even tried jacking like Ron suggested, only wound up lifting the truck up!

Got the right tool for the other two trucks, no more wasted time!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Lucky dog!

I even tried jacking like Ron suggested, only wound up lifting the truck up!

Got the right tool for the other two trucks, no more wasted time!
Before the jack lifted the truck, it would have changed the control arm angles from full droop to the arms being more like when they are on the road, loaded. That is the sweet spot. I have only ever used a pickle fork or a bang or two at the spindle where the ball joint stem inserts at.

Rael

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is the tool you need. It's model 25112. Worked on my 99 Yukon. I searched this thread a few weeks ago and didn't see it mentioned. It's $50 on Amazon. I tried the silver looking one that looks like a jaw, those didn't open wide enough.

The nut on the end of the thread comes off, if you take that off the bolt and leave the castle nut on a few threads the bolt will go up into the nut and help hold it in place. With the nut on the tool it wants to slide off the castle nut.

I replaced ball joints few weeks ago and could not get the ball joint to separate from the knuckle with a pickle fork or hammer. This makes it a lot easier. You might need to cut the boot on the old ball joint to help it fit in place. Then start turning the bolt on the tool. If it is still stubborn you can try just leaving the tool on for a bit. When I removed the second ball joint, I tightened it down and got tired and stopped for a minute, and then the thing suddenly POPPED and broke it loose.

Screenshot 2023-10-17 232344.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This is the tool you need. It's model 25112. Worked on my 99 Yukon. I searched this thread a few weeks ago and didn't see it mentioned. It's $50 on Amazon. I tried the silver looking one that looks like a jaw, those didn't open wide enough.

The nut on the end of the thread comes off, if you take that off the bolt and leave the castle nut on a few threads the bolt will go up into the nut and help hold it in place. With the nut on the tool it wants to slide off the castle nut.

I replaced ball joints few weeks ago and could not get the ball joint to separate from the knuckle with a pickle fork or hammer. This makes it a lot easier. You might need to cut the boot on the old ball joint to help it fit in place. Then start turning the bolt on the tool. If it is still stubborn you can try just leaving the tool on for a bit. When I removed the second ball joint, I tightened it down and got tired and stopped for a minute, and then the thing suddenly POPPED and broke it loose.

View attachment 411708
Or just do the whole arm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10