Ball Joint Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blondie70

Reaction score
Replaced my right lower ball joint. It likta killed me. What a PIA. It was the first one I ever did and I hope the last...ha ha. I had the ball joint kit at the ready. Went to O'Reillys to get new one....told 'em no China stuff....they had them from India...$80 each, and Moog ...USA made for $100 ea. I got the MOOG to keep Americans working. It went in WAY easier than that old one came out... Looks like the left side is ok for now. I got a joint for it also..if the time comes to replace.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^^x2^^^^^ When my ball joints needed replacement, I went with the entire control arm assembly, complete with ball joints already attached. I'm glad that I did that, as the control arm bushings were well on their way toward failure.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
How many miles do this typically go out? I always changed my toyota ones out at 100k because they don't have a good track record with balljoints
There are many things that contribute to how quick the ball joints and bushings need replaced. Salt on the roads, road conditions, how hard the driver drives the vehicle and loads carried by vehicle.....etc. I did mine at around 140k to 150k miles. I do not wait for a wear item to wear out before replacement. It is easier for me to control the process if I do it that way.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are many things that contribute to how quick the ball joints and bushings need replaced. Salt on the roads, road conditions, how hard the driver drives the vehicle and loads carried by vehicle.....etc. I did mine at around 140k to 150k miles. I do not wait for a wear item to wear out before replacement. It is easier for me to control the process if I do it that way.
I did mine around 150k miles, as well.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the ball joints on my 99 Silverado last summer. It has 270k and were original. Those are riveted in there and were a pia. Drilling, hammering, sweating, cussing in English AND Spanish! It was the $hit show. I went and bought the largest HF air hammer and that's what really worked popping the rivets out.

Next job I do on another one of these I think I'll replace the lower control arm, LoL.

Are GMT 900s the same way?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I was in shops, an air hammer/chisel was a must to have for suspension and exhaust work. Hardly ever used any other time. Now days, I don't really have an air compressor and have no need for the air hammer/chisel. I also don't do heavy work here either.

Pretty much complete component replacement is the norm now days.

I could be wrong but it seems to me that the "component replacement" norm started around the time that the military started using Hummers in the field and for quick repairs, entire components/sections of needed equipment repairs would be designed and replaced.

OP
OP
B

blondie70

Reaction score
I replaced the ball joints on my 99 Silverado last summer. It has 270k and were original. Those are riveted in there and were a pia. Drilling, hammering, sweating, cussing in English AND Spanish! It was the $hit show. I went and bought the largest HF air hammer and that's what really worked popping the rivets out.

Next job I do on another one of these I think I'll replace the lower control arm, LoL.

Are GMT 900s the same way?
No rivets on my '12 Tahoe. Some little metal flaps on the edge of the top of the ball joint that were flattened to maybe keep the joint from falling back thru the hole....(like that would ever happen...ha ha) That baby was in there ! The new Moog had a snap ring around the top. Nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog