'23 down; massive oil leak | suv's don't get lz0's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Future inlaw's, really liked the wife's diesel denali so they bought a pair of them, one in a pickup and one in a suv (both diesels both '23's).

The pickup has been the usual new vehicle stuff; pretty solid, all happy in pickup land.
The suv just went down (sub 3k miles) with a massive oil leak (towed out of garage type of leak), dealer is thinking rear seal (or something) but they are stuck in a holding pattern for more intel from GMC as to what todo.

"I thought" the oil leak topic was an issue with the early 3.0's (lm2) and not the later 3.0's (lz0). But, it appears the '23 suv's get the lm2 and not the lz0 engine like the pickups get.
Is that correct?

The interesting part is these folks came from a competing brand, their first foray into the GM experience. Just under $200k into a pair of vehicles and the dealer is giving them noise about a loaner as they are looking at an unknown eta on the fix. These people aren't necessarily upset as they have other options, rather they are puzzled that this is the expected experience and people are ok with it.

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something to know about GM and diesels. We run into this with just about all of our vehicles with diesels in them. First thing they have to do is hookup the Tech Tool, screenshot all the update dates in memory. They want to make sure you have not tuned it at all, and if so, automatic denial on any powertrain related warranty work. I know Ford does this as well as Ram. Once they send it in showing there have not been any tweeks, they will get authorized to fix it. GM started doing this in 2006, Ford in 2012, and RAM I am not sure of, but the baby Cummins we have in a few trucks we have run into RAM checking them now as well. I have a Ford sitting at Ford for the past 2 weeks awaiting approval, they sent the screen shots in, just waiting for a nod that nothing was programmed on it.

Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear main sounds right. A friend of mine who works for an engine development company in MI said awhile back they were hot testing every 3.0L in dyno cells before they went to the line because of RMS leaks while GM was trying to find a solution. That was awhile back, but maybe the fix isn't perfect yet?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they actually think they bought Lexus service?

I’ve had both and I know the difference and expectations ……

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
Something to know about GM and diesels. We run into this with just about all of our vehicles with diesels in them. First thing they have to do is hookup the Tech Tool, screenshot all the update dates in memory. They want to make sure you have tuned it at all, and if so, automatic denial on any powertrain related warranty work. I know Ford does this as well as Ram. Once they send it in showing there have not been any tweeks, they will get authorized to fix it. GM started doing this in 2006, Ford in 2012, and RAM I am not sure of, but the baby Cummins we have in a few trucks we have run into RAM checking them now as well. I have a Ford sitting at Ford for the past 2 weeks awaiting approval, they sent the screen shots in, just waiting for a nod that nothing was programmed on it.
Here's the article.. Is there a way to decipher what the date of the change was? Same with the historical error codes.. it's all there.

#09-06-04-026X: Identifying Non-GM (Aftermarket) Engine Calibrations for Gasoline Engines Using Tech 2 or GDS 2 (U.S. and Canada) - (Jul 31, 2023)

OP
OP
S

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they actually think they bought Lexus service?

I’ve had both and I know the difference and expectations ……
Have you read the marking materials for GMC lately? They are setting expectations incredibly high.

Some quotes from GMC
- THE GMC Sierra. It’s THE Truck.
- Another level of technological innovation.
- Enjoy first-class luxury all the way.
- Denali Ultimate is the most advanced and luxurious pickup in its class.
- and they just continue.

If you base your expectations on what GMC is saying, they are set very high.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you read the marking materials for GMC lately? They are setting expectations incredibly high.

Some quotes from GMC

Or you could buy a Ram lol

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 2004 I bought a brand new 2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD. As they pulled it up it had a 1" dent over rear wheel well... so no car till Monday. They fixed that.

Then, within a few days I had oil dripping on garage floor. After 3 engine tear-down/fix over 3 weeks it was finally fixed.

Then, after a month a rear oil leak appeared. They said the differential gasket was never seated and floating in the body of the differential.

Over all - they gave me a rental 4 times in 2 months and finally got a working car. I didn't realize it at the time but this violated the CA lemon law and I could have asked for a different car. I wonder if this applies in this case - e.g. a lemon law activation.

it was not a good experience and this thread makes me think about all that trouble with was I imagined as buy and drive.... :)

Fast forward today - I still have the vehicle, done many things with it, and even though it's been a pain with many fixes over the years it has never broken down or left me stranded. It's at 170,000miles but has recently become the 2nd car as we just bought a used 2021 Yukon Denali for towing reasons.

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Some quotes from GMC

None of what is stated above applies to, or is implied to translate to, dealership/service expectations or experiences.......

Ibustbravo

Reaction score

Some quotes from GMC

I think there's an emotional aspect to the purchase of an American vehicle. Like Harley Davidson, no one buys an FLH because they're the best at what they do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts