2017 Yukon transmission shudder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisYukon

Reaction score
The dealer had my truck for 6 days (gave me a loaner) and ran it through all sorts of diagnosis steps. They flushed the transmission and replaced it with a different fluid, and the shudder is gone.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 that has this same issue and I am pissed, they are changing the fluid but are not changing the filter. I am being told the old fluid is collecting moisture and that is why they specked out a new fluid. What pisses me off is not changing the filter because they are too cheep and don't give a crap what happens to your 65K vehicle down the line when you are off warranty.

No if ands or but the filter is contaminated with not only the old fluid that collected the moisture in the first place but the milky crap that is created when oil and water are churned together. I was hoping to get 200K miles out of this truck and hand it down to my daughter but this POS will never make it without being a money pit.

Its getting to the point where its not worth buying a car under 100K in miles and paying big money for them just to have a warranty isn't worth it because GM and the dealerships don't care about you.

Previous issues on 2016 Yukon XL:
Cam @ 22K mile
Power running boards@25K miles
heated sets never worked right and don't really get hot on high ( always been there and deal keep telling me it is what it is.
AC condenser @ 45Kmiles fought with GM and dealer over this.
Tail lights 40K miles

Last 3 fords no problems
last 2 Jaguars few issues the dealer was fare to awesome.
2001 Yukon the deal asked that I not bring tis truck back to them.
2009 rusted out on all the door seams and under hood before I could pay it off.

I will never buy GM junk again !!

Normally, if they change the filter, the fluid in the transmission won't get flushed and you will be left with half old fluid mixing with new fluid. If they change all the fluid with a flush, dropping the pan after will mean you will have to pay for even more fluid and more time. Most customers would baulk at the added cost.

Just so you know:
1992 Mercury Grand Marquis: shudder from torque converter common problem. Needed rebuilt transmission when 10 years old.
2008 Ford Explorer: rusting sill plates, numerous cooling system issues.

I'll agree that GM's vehicles aren't perfect. Neither are Fords. If you had zero problems with your Fords, you may have been lucky. I will admit that I've had more problems with my 2002 Tahoe than I ever had with my 1992 Grand Marquis, but I also bought my Grand Marquis when it had only 55000 km. I got the Tahoe when it had 200000 km. While I never had a rear main oil seal leak on the Grand Marquis, I did have it changed when I had the transmission rebuilt.

RobDenali

Reaction score
I just joined today to figure out what to do with the front suspension on a '16 XL.

But, I've had the 8-speed issues as well. Ours would shudder a lot at lower speeds, I think it was the 1-2 or 2-3 shift. Also, the biggest sign I saw was cruising at 70 mph, the RPM would fluctuate up and down, just a needle width every .5-1 second.

Got a flush and a new torque converter and it runs like it should (GM paid for it). Now my concern is the long term life of the 8L90. Is it going to grenade on me?

I am no means a expert but I think if you keep fresh fluid in that tranny you should be good. I am now looking into a aftermarket pan that has a drain plug

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just started having this problem. It’s so annoying. 2016 Denali with 53k. I have the extended warranty. Is it covered?

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had the transmission fluid swap. I had to pay for it at $400. Don’t feel the shudder anymore but still need to put some miles on her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727