2016 Yukon Transmission Shudder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would listen to nick transmission and try to get to him. I think he is in Florida so you could probably make a small vacation while he fixes your tranny. Nick understands and will use better parts then the manufacture.

OP
OP
B

Borrowed_Time068

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got my Yukon back after about a week and a half at transmission shop. Total cost was around $6,300 for a complete rebuild with several upgraded parts and a HD TC. Got a couple hundred miles on it and it feels great. Also ordered a Range AFM disabler which will be here in a couple days.

Aviationtech

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Curious how long you experienced the shudder before you had actual slipping start? Just purchased a 2017 Denali with an 8 speed and noticed the shudder. It only has 73k miles on it.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aviationtech,Have the fluid changed to the one listed in the TSB for the 8 speed and it should take care of the shudder.

Samiam5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You're welcome!
Yes, have the shop install a much better/upgraded torque converter with a .050+ thick clutch. I'd also do the following:

- Sonnax Zip Kit
- Sonnax 3-5-R HP apply ring (allows for an extra friction and steel in that clutch)
- Sonnax 4-5-6 piston kit (allows for an extra friction and steel in that clutch)
- Sonnax billet 1-2-3-4 piston (won't crack like the factory piston)
- Reinforce the welds on the 3-5-R clutch drum to prevent leaks (common problem, mostly in pre-2010 units)
- Completely overhaul pump, machining both working surfaces and rotor/slide pocket so clearance is .0015 between rotor surface, slide surface relative to pump body deck surface
- Transgo unbreakable pump ring kit
- Updated GM HD parking rod assembly
- Updated GM cooler bypass valve to keep temps around 175-180 max at all times (or run a delete kit from Superior Technologies)

Check out my 6L80 Information thread for a complete list of all parts and upgrades available for these transmissions and let me know if you have any more ?s
I just had my trans replaced in a 2016 Yukon xl Denali. Wondering if that could cause any electrical issues?! I got my truck back and the day I did I hit a deer but I then noticed the little orange lights in my head lights staying on even after the vehicle was off…. The body shop fixing my vehicle from the deer could not find any issues. Now I’m at a loss… not wanting to pay a $3-500 diagnostic fee…,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts