Should this pre-purchase inspection be a dealbreaker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mentalattica

Reaction score
I purchased a used 2020 Yukon SLT with 24k mi. at Carmax for $54k. We flew across the country to pick it up and drove it back home where I could take it to a trusted mechanic to do an inspection. The B2B warranty expired in July but there's almost 2 years and 34k mi left on the powertrain. I declined the extended warranty. These are the results, and I have until tomorrow to return the truck for a full refund as part of a 7-day money-back guarantee... it would've been 30 days if I purchased it at a local Carmax.

These are the results of the inspection:
"Almost everything looks great/new. The tick is coming from the vacuum pump. Should be warranty. (they assumed it was still under the 3/36). The rear differential pinion seal has been replaced. Hammer marks and red grease give it away. The R rear shock has been changed for whatever reason to a Monroe, not a GM part. Alignment is a little off and needs to be redone. Tires and brakes are at bout 50%. No body damage to speak of. Although the front bumper has been repainted and is a shade off on color."

I paid for a CarFax report after getting this report back to see if the service records indicated the diff pinion seal was done at a dealer under warranty. It wasn't listed. I know for sure no dealer would slap a single Monroe strut on the rear. As far as I can tell the vacuum pump isn't covered under the 5/60 powertrain. I guess my question is to get opinions on WWYD? Deal breaker or no?

I already feel like we overpaid for the truck, but the market has been brutal. I know used cars won't be perfect and that I can pick up a vacuum pump for around $150 and a matching set of struts for a few hundred but my wife is screaming no, you shouldn't have to work on a truck we just bought that supposedly passed a 125-point inspection lol. She wants to return it. I'm also kinda curious as to why the pinion seal would've needed to be replaced with such low mileage other than crap luck, and assuming it wasn't done as a warranty repair, why?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 8.14.13 PM.png

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d investigate the bumper paint issue. Have a body shop confirm it’s been painted. Like the rear shock there’s no reason to repaint a fairly new rig and rock chip repair wouldn’t need that much paint.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd probably be on the road taking it back too. Too much money invested to wind up with such a questionable vehicle. Also I'd just hate to think about buying any used vehicle that's clear across the country.

Silverado4x4

Reaction score
Think about it this way, I don't know how far you had to drive across country to get it but the vacuum pump cost 150 bucks a factory shock probably another 50 bucks by the time you spend money in gas and a plane ticket home it will cost you way more money to return it then to just fix whats wrong.

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you wife wants to take it back take it back.

He has 7 days to return to any carmax. He has 30 to return it to the one he bought it from.

For the cost of a plane ticket and gas and your time would’ve been easier to have them ship it to your local carmax first and actually have the pre purchase inspection done prior to making the deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts