Should this pre-purchase inspection be a dealbreaker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
You got the 125 point FREE inspection.. If you want the 150 point inspection; for the low low price of $29.99, they open their normally closed eyes and check the shocks and tire pressure. lol

Seriously though. None of what you describe would be a show stopper to me. Those pumps make noise.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep a little vacuuum pump tick is 100% normal, if it is bothersome replace it, it will still tick...... ,more or less

TomF2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I purchased a used 2020 Yukon SLT with 24k mi. at Carmax for $54k. We flew across the country to pick it up and drove it back home where I could take it to a trusted mechanic to do an inspection. The B2B warranty expired in July but there's almost 2 years and 34k mi left on the powertrain. I declined the extended warranty. These are the results, and I have until tomorrow to return the truck for a full refund as part of a 7-day money-back guarantee... it would've been 30 days if I purchased it at a local Carmax.

These are the results of the inspection:
"Almost everything looks great/new. The tick is coming from the vacuum pump. Should be warranty. (they assumed it was still under the 3/36). The rear differential pinion seal has been replaced. Hammer marks and red grease give it away. The R rear shock has been changed for whatever reason to a Monroe, not a GM part. Alignment is a little off and needs to be redone. Tires and brakes are at bout 50%. No body damage to speak of. Although the front bumper has been repainted and is a shade off on color."

I paid for a CarFax report after getting this report back to see if the service records indicated the diff pinion seal was done at a dealer under warranty. It wasn't listed. I know for sure no dealer would slap a single Monroe strut on the rear. As far as I can tell the vacuum pump isn't covered under the 5/60 powertrain. I guess my question is to get opinions on WWYD? Deal breaker or no?

I already feel like we overpaid for the truck, but the market has been brutal. I know used cars won't be perfect and that I can pick up a vacuum pump for around $150 and a matching set of struts for a few hundred but my wife is screaming no, you shouldn't have to work on a truck we just bought that supposedly passed a 125-point inspection lol. She wants to return it. I'm also kinda curious as to why the pinion seal would've needed to be replaced with such low mileage other than crap luck, and assuming it wasn't done as a warranty repair, why?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

View attachment 412627
If you are returning that Yukon, I have a 2020 Yukon SLT 4wd 9760 miles in mint condition for $52k with a transferable GM extended warranty for 7 additional years or 101,000 miles for sale. it is listed on craigslist Dallas now. We purchased a 2023 GMC Sierra AT4 and don't need the Yukon now.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got the 125 point FREE inspection.. If you want the 150 point inspection; for the low low price of $29.99, they open their normally closed eyes and check the shocks and tire pressure. lol

Seriously though. None of what you describe would be a show stopper to me. Those pumps make noise.

If the inspection was done a dealer, they can’t upsell warranty work on a free inspection, it’s against GM policy. But they can if a customer pays for an inspection. You can go in right before your warranty expires and pay for an inspection and anything they find is fair game.

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
If the inspection was done a dealer, they can’t upsell warranty work on a free inspection, it’s against GM policy. But they can if a customer pays for an inspection. You can go in right before your warranty expires and pay for an inspection and anything they find is fair game.
I mean, if your wife doesn't approve that's one thing; and I get it, now might be the time to return it before it's too late. But returning it because of a mismatched shock? I'd just say you don't like it.

Did you do more than 1500 miles??? Across the country is more like 2400 miles.. And you have to bring it back to the place you bought it.. so I think you're stuck with it. (I had no idea they did 30 day returns)

Do I really get 30 days to return the car?
Yes, it's part of our Love Your Car Guarantee, and it's our way of helping you buy a car that truly fits your life. You can take a full 30 days (up to 1500 miles) to decide if the car you buy is right for your life. As long as the condition is consistent with when you purchased it and you've driven fewer than 1500 miles since your purchase, you can bring it back within 30 days and we'll help you complete your return. Any refund due back is typically mailed within 2 weeks of your return date. Please note, if your financing included negative equity from your trade-in, you can either repay the negative equity or finance it with a different vehicle, subject to financing approval.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, if your wife doesn't approve that's one thing; and I get it, now might be the time to return it before it's too late. But returning it because of a mismatched shock? I'd just say you don't like it.

Did you do more than 1500 miles??? Across the country is more like 2400 miles.. And you have to bring it back to the place you bought it.. so I think you're stuck with it. (I had no idea they did 30 day returns)

Do I really get 30 days to return the car?
Yes, it's part of our Love Your Car Guarantee, and it's our way of helping you buy a car that truly fits your life. You can take a full 30 days (up to 1500 miles) to decide if the car you buy is right for your life. As long as the condition is consistent with when you purchased it and you've driven fewer than 1500 miles since your purchase, you can bring it back within 30 days and we'll help you complete your return. Any refund due back is typically mailed within 2 weeks of your return date. Please note, if your financing included negative equity from your trade-in, you can either repay the negative equity or finance it with a different vehicle, subject to financing approval.
better than autonation with 3 days and 500miles, I trampled that the same day, lol o'well the warranty I took paid off in the end

Vipverbob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I get these types of things in my shop all the time. The Pre means before. I get SOOOOO many people bring it to me after and it winds up costing them $$Ks as they are stuck. Get an inspection BEFORE purchase. Anyone seller that wont, is not someone you want to do business with for an expensive vehicle...

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get these types of things in my shop all the time. The Pre means before. I get SOOOOO many people bring it to me after and it winds up costing them $$Ks as they are stuck. Get an inspection BEFORE purchase. Anyone seller that wont, is not someone you want to do business with for an expensive vehicle...
How does one get a pre purchase inspection when dealing with a dealer, take it to a mechanic during the test drive?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a used 2020 Yukon SLT with 24k mi. at Carmax for $54k. We flew across the country to pick it up and drove it back home where I could take it to a trusted mechanic to do an inspection. The B2B warranty expired in July but there's almost 2 years and 34k mi left on the powertrain. I declined the extended warranty. These are the results, and I have until tomorrow to return the truck for a full refund as part of a 7-day money-back guarantee... it would've been 30 days if I purchased it at a local Carmax.

These are the results of the inspection:
"Almost everything looks great/new. The tick is coming from the vacuum pump. Should be warranty. (they assumed it was still under the 3/36). The rear differential pinion seal has been replaced. Hammer marks and red grease give it away. The R rear shock has been changed for whatever reason to a Monroe, not a GM part. Alignment is a little off and needs to be redone. Tires and brakes are at bout 50%. No body damage to speak of. Although the front bumper has been repainted and is a shade off on color."

I paid for a CarFax report after getting this report back to see if the service records indicated the diff pinion seal was done at a dealer under warranty. It wasn't listed. I know for sure no dealer would slap a single Monroe strut on the rear. As far as I can tell the vacuum pump isn't covered under the 5/60 powertrain. I guess my question is to get opinions on WWYD? Deal breaker or no?

I already feel like we overpaid for the truck, but the market has been brutal. I know used cars won't be perfect and that I can pick up a vacuum pump for around $150 and a matching set of struts for a few hundred but my wife is screaming no, you shouldn't have to work on a truck we just bought that supposedly passed a 125-point inspection lol. She wants to return it. I'm also kinda curious as to why the pinion seal would've needed to be replaced with such low mileage other than crap luck, and assuming it wasn't done as a warranty repair, why?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

View attachment 412627
100% return it. $54k is WAY too much for a 4 year old vehicle in my book. The mechanical inspection sounds like the guy is a good, thorough person. The report tells me that maintenance wasn't an objective of the original owner, and bandaid's as a reaction (cheapest option) were their solution on a new $70k vehicle.

Prices are coming down, so I'd find something local that was better cared for.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does one get a pre purchase inspection when dealing with a dealer, take it to a mechanic during the test drive?
Just ask. That's what i do if they tell me no, i can't take it to another chevy or whatever dealer they're shady as hell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660