2013 AFM Failure -> Delete Kit advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, the most failures seem to be related to maintenance, or the lack thereof. Between the VLOM and tiny passages in the lifters, the system is extra sensitive to buildup of gunk from using crap oil and/or too long of oil change intervals. The best you can do is keep clean oil, high quality in it.

The parts themselves were improved from 2010+. If yours is '07-'09, get the updated VLOM and lifters and keep clean, high quality oil in it. Unless most of your driving is cruising at ~65MPH or slower for extended periods with no stops, hills, headwinds or traffic, AFM won't save you enough to outweigh the risk.

Nothing guarantees "survival". It will always be a risk. Doing the above is the most you can do to minimize your risk of failure. You can eliminate the risk from lack of maintenance, but the risk of the parts failing will always be there. Do your best and, if you're fortunate, you'll have some sort of warning before it fails, such as ticking lifter(s), odd stumbling, etc. and can take it out before it takes out your engine. Some aren't so fortunate and that's where the horror stories of "Had the fam on a road trip when my dash lit up like a Christmas tree and the engine was clicking/knocking".

Deleting AFM makes the engine as reliable as the Gen 3, but with upgraded parts such as rods, heads and intake manifold.

Coming from European where the demand was higher, these trucks seem simple on maintenance. But a lot of the owners in here including myself are second hand owners. I guess its just luck of the draw who you buy from. Those ridiculous recommended intervals dont help I'm sure.

Though, I'm waiting for someone to say maintenance doesnt matter from an original owner that had issues.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming from European where the demand was higher, these trucks seem simple on maintenance. But a lot of the owners in here including myself are second hand owners. I guess its just luck of the draw who you buy from.

I agree that they're simple on maintenance. Those with AFM are not as forgiving to the owners that tend to take the cheap route with the lowest-cost oil changes at Jiffy Lube, performed 2-3 times a year only when it's at a critical point. Or, just when they happen to look up from their phones and see the horribly faded sticker on their windshield. Yes, buying secondhand is almost always a risk. This is why you have to be diligent when inspecting. Sometimes, especially in the current market, you're forced to buy something despite the ugliness you saw through the oil fill hole and just cross your fingers.

Those ridiculous recommended intervals dont help I'm sure.

The recommended OCI intervals, per the book, are part of GM's balance of engine longevity versus what the EPA squeezes 'em for. The programming for the OLM is even more ridiculous. They did update it, but, still.

Though, I'm waiting for someone to say maintenance doesnt matter from an original owner that had issues.

For those, the maintenance didn't matter to them in that particular instance on that particular vehicle. It's not a blanket statement, some parts are just doomed. The 2020, 2021, 2022, etc. models are an example. I'd be bitter, too, if I had to tiptoe on eggshells hoping that my $80,000 SUV would make it to its next oil change.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that they're simple on maintenance. Those with AFM are not as forgiving to the owners that tend to take the cheap route with the lowest-cost oil changes at Jiffy Lube, performed 2-3 times a year only when it's at a critical point. Or, just when they happen to look up from their phones and see the horribly faded sticker on their windshield. Yes, buying secondhand is almost always a risk. This is why you have to be diligent when inspecting. Sometimes, especially in the current market, you're forced to buy something despite the ugliness you saw through the oil fill hole and just cross your fingers.

The recommended OCI intervals, per the book, are part of GM's balance of engine longevity versus what the EPA squeezes 'em for. The programming for the OLM is even more ridiculous. They did update it, but, still.

For those, the maintenance didn't matter to them in that particular instance on that particular vehicle. It's not a blanket statement, some parts are just doomed. The 2020, 2021, 2022, etc. models are an example. I'd be bitter, too, if I had to tiptoe on eggshells hoping that my $80,000 SUV would make it to its next oil change.

LOL I really underestimated how many cars go through those systems and worst, how many people wait until the last minute. I see how far people go in here with catch cans and such thinking i'm doing the bare minimum but in reality....i heard a high percentage of the population dont even do standard maintenance.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i heard a high percentage of the population dont even do standard maintenance.
You would be correct. Very few people take care of their vehicles. They treat it like an appliance they’ll own for a few years and then trash it and buy another one. The second owners who intend to keep for 10 years usually take the best care of their vehicles. The general population on forums who want to take care of their vehicles as best as possible and fix things as preventative maintenance and are actually capable of doing DIY without hackery are VERY rare. Most of the people out there really aren’t even capable of changing a light bulb which absolutely blows the mind of forum people. And I don’t say that as a put down, there’s a reason people pay other people to do things.

FasterBass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would be correct. Very few people take care of their vehicles. They treat it like an appliance they’ll own for a few years and then trash it and buy another one. The second owners who intend to keep for 10 years usually take the best care of their vehicles. The general population on forums who want to take care of their vehicles as best as possible and fix things as preventative maintenance and are actually capable of doing DIY without hackery are VERY rare. Most of the people out there really aren’t even capable of changing a light bulb which absolutely blows the mind of forum people. And I don’t say that as a put down, there’s a reason people pay other people to do things.
Im honestly a little surprised on how few active people there are on this forum for how many of these trucks exist. However, of the people that are active most are very skilled and knowledgeable. I guess your evaluation of these trucks as appliances is correct. Meanwhile the BMW forums ive been on for years have a huge number of active members but most are complete hack morons. I like these forums a lot better.

bobsburban

Reaction score
Im honestly a little surprised on how few active people there are on this forum for how many of these trucks exist. However, of the people that are active most are very skilled and knowledgeable. I guess your evaluation of these trucks as appliances is correct. Meanwhile the BMW forums ive been on for years have a huge number of active members but most are complete hack morons. I like these forums a lot better.

I suspect there are a good many of us also who, having been around the sun plenty of years, have been bypassed by the complexity of modern vehicles and/or lack space and tools to adequately work on our vehicles. We're here, just can't do the work ourselves anymore. The days of balancing SUs and adjusting valve lash on an MGB are long gone and someone like me is relegated to changing oil as needed and handing it off to someone I trust (I'm lucky) for the rest. Best I can do is keep the oil scrupulously clean, which means every 2500 miles when I'm pulling or 5000 when I'm not. And save for a delete kit or a remanufactured engine (my more likely choice).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_burks