2012 Yukon XL Denali 6.2L Cam Swap Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update almost a week in: Still running great with a quiet valvetrain across the board. Probably half a dozen cold starts this week, some local trailer pulling and hauling the kids around as well. Power is great and still loving that lope. Sounds beastly and my wife loves it! Makes me wonder how long my engine mounts will last though. :)

What mounts? I've been abusing AC Delco H3 mounts since November 2, 2018.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ran the data logging routine with the Autocal v3 yesterday and sent it off to Black Bear to get the final tune completed. Making those full throttle runs was a hoot! This thing pulls like a motherf***** above 3.5k rpm and it sounds like a nascar race in there as the RPMs climb. I can’t detect any loss of performance below that even though it doesn’t have VVT now. I’m sure a VVT cam would do even better down low but I’m happy so far. Gonna take the camper out next weekend and we’ll see how it pulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up our new camper yesterday. 5700 pounds empty and it pulled like a dream with the new cam. I think this combo is gonna work great for our adventures. Still have a little adjustment work to do on the weight distributing hitch (raise the ball 1" and also put a little more pressure on the bars), and the slight sag you see will come right up. Didn't have time to mess with the setup at the dealer yesterday.

IMG_2981.jpeg

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for an epic thread. Inspirational, highly informational and cautionary, couldn’t ask for anyth8ng more.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I feel like I was fully part of the project, without getting my hands dirty. :)

Our collective knowledge and experience base has been increased.

This Forum remains a solid win-win for its members. Proud to be a part of it.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you Bill and Joseph, for riding along on the journey. Glad it was helpful to you and hopefully will help others in the future.

I'm in the process of compiling a lessons learned summary + tips & tricks guide that will hopefully help others while also helping me remember some of the details if I decide to do the job again on our 2nd Denali. I'll post it here when it's finished.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Bill and Joseph, for riding along on the journey. Glad it was helpful to you and hopefully will help others in the future.

I'm in the process of compiling a lessons learned summary + tips & tricks guide that will hopefully help others while also helping me remember some of the details if I decide to do the job again on our 2nd Denali. I'll post it here when it's finished.

Awesome stuff, great contributions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645