2012 Yukon XL Denali 6.2L Cam Swap Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn't wait any longer - just had to get into it, so I pulled the passenger side valve cover and everything looks solid. A little end play in the BTR trunnions, but they were that way when I installed them, and everything else is snug. Next step tomorrow will be to pull the intake and valley pan to get a looksee at the cam and lifters.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you start it up with the valve cover off? Maybe the sound will change enough to give you more of a clue.

To me, from the clip which is admittedly hard to tell anything with my game boy speakers, it didn't sound like lifter tick.

Also, have you checked some of the other obvious stuff like exhaust manifold bolts, etc?

Here's hoping it isn't major.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you start it up with the valve cover off? Maybe the sound will change enough to give you more of a clue.

To me, from the clip which is admittedly hard to tell anything with my game boy speakers, it didn't sound like lifter tick.

Also, have you checked some of the other obvious stuff like exhaust manifold bolts, etc?

Here's hoping it isn't major.
No, it's pretty hard to start it without the valve cover on. Sprays oil everywhere and gotta hook up the coil pack on that side, etc. It's not a typical lifter tick, but it's happening with every rotation of the camshaft. Sounds very similar to when I had that lifter dragging on the cam after the first cam swap. Exhaust manifold bolts are secure, spark plugs are tight. Thanks for your well-wishes! We will soon see :)

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it's pretty hard to start it without the valve cover on. Sprays oil everywhere and gotta hook up the coil pack on that side, etc. It's not a typical lifter tick, but it's happening with every rotation of the camshaft. Sounds very similar to when I had that lifter dragging on the cam after the first cam swap. Exhaust manifold bolts are secure, spark plugs are tight. Thanks for your well-wishes! We will soon see :)
I didn't get a great deal of oil sprayed around when I ran my with the cover off, although it was only idling. But no matter, may have not given any more to go on anyway. Sounds like you have a handle on what may be going on. Here's hoping for the best.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watching. I used the same lifters when replacing my Castech heads last summer. No cam and only a 5.3, so should be mild on the valvetrain.

Good luck, hate to see problems.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry Geo… hope you get it sorted soon and at minimal expense!
Thanks for the support! Gonna set a stopwatch tomorrow with a goal to have the heads off and lifters on the bench in 2 hours or less. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

This would mark 2 different lifter failures with 2 different brands of lifters on 2 different cams - this one with only .553” of lift. Both sets manufactured toward the end of 2020. Even GM is having failures on their lifters made during that period. Covid parts!

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have our smoking gun. This lifter is from the #2 cylinder and was starting to fail the exact same way that the Vinci lifter failed on the first cam swap. I believe what’s happening is I made the mistake of reusing the lifter trays from Vinci, and they do not hold the lifter well enough to keep it from rotating slightly as it moves. You can see the chipping damage which is present on the complete circumference of the lifter wheel. I have new Chevrolet Performance trays on the way, but unfortunately the cam will have to come out. Moral of the story: use OEM lifter trays.

E4D5E493-B3E3-422A-AAB1-733E4C3909B4.png

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn. Bummer on having to pull the head, assuming you'll pull the other to put new trays on that side, too. And sucks about the cam, too. Sorry brother.

I panicked a bit after I put a second replacement head on (torqued and all)...couldn't remember if I tightened the tray bolt down because I pulled the lifters to see which way I had the oil holes. So far, so good.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn. Bummer on having to pull the head, assuming you'll pull the other to put new trays on that side, too. And sucks about the cam, too. Sorry brother.

I panicked a bit after I put a second replacement head on (torqued and all)...couldn't remember if I tightened the tray bolt down because I pulled the lifters to see which way I had the oil holes. So far, so good.
Thanks Matt! Yeah, I’ll pull both heads and replace the cam also. Thinking of going with a VVT cam this time.

I hate that feeling that I forgot something. Glad you haven’t had any issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts