2012 Yukon XL - 6.2L Engine Rebuild/Swap & Addressing AFM/DOD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Apologies in advance for yet another AFM/DOD post to muddy the forum waters, but I have the 6.2L with 180k. It has a collapsed lifter and low oil pressure (leaking from oil pump). It may be conjecture for me to assume that it is AFM related, but I do hear that this type of problem is a common symptom of how the AFM functions. It looks like my best option is to put a remanufactured engine in it. I could try the rebuilding route, but there is no guarantee that there aren't other internal issues happening on outside of lifters and oil pump, so I don't want it to end up being a money sink when just swapping could be less headache (but I am open to ideas if you all disagree with this mentality). I have called a couple of places, getting a feel for how they do the swap, and I brought up the AFM point. Multiple places are recommending just to swap it with a crate 6.2L engine from GM directly that will come with a 3-year/100k warranty.

Challenge is, if I have them put a delete kit on it, it will likely void the warranty from GM. If this is a reused block with all new internal components (lifters, rockers, cam, rods, etc), would just tuning out the AFM be good enough in this instance? I know that the parts will still be for AFM, but is it worth the extra cost at this point to mechanically delete it?

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@smiley91 With 180k I think you're well past any GM warranty out there.

If you can get the motor properly diagnosed then rebuilding it has little to no risks, it's when people make assumptions and apply a "fix" to the problem without actually identifying the problem.

There should be shops out there that have experience with this type of things, any shop that jumps straight to replacing the motor isn't interested in properly fixing the problem.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apologies in advance for yet another AFM/DOD post to muddy the forum waters, but I have the 6.2L with 180k. It has a collapsed lifter and low oil pressure (leaking from oil pump). It may be conjecture for me to assume that it is AFM related, but I do hear that this type of problem is a common symptom of how the AFM functions. It looks like my best option is to put a remanufactured engine in it. I could try the rebuilding route, but there is no guarantee that there aren't other internal issues happening on outside of lifters and oil pump, so I don't want it to end up being a money sink when just swapping could be less headache (but I am open to ideas if you all disagree with this mentality). I have called a couple of places, getting a feel for how they do the swap, and I brought up the AFM point. Multiple places are recommending just to swap it with a crate 6.2L engine from GM directly that will come with a 3-year/100k warranty.

Challenge is, if I have them put a delete kit on it, it will likely void the warranty from GM. If this is a reused block with all new internal components (lifters, rockers, cam, rods, etc), would just tuning out the AFM be good enough in this instance? I know that the parts will still be for AFM, but is it worth the extra cost at this point to mechanically delete it?
Any GM dealership will not delete AFM or even disable it. Not allowed to.

I'm curious about where the oil pump is leaking from, don't hear about that much.

It's in most shop's best interests to just swap out one engine for another, saves them time and most don't have the expertise for rebuilding anyways. A performance shop does.

When an engine is disassembled for rebuilding, the block and heads go through testing to make sure that they are serviceable and without cracks in them. Then measurements are taken of the cylinder, camshaft journals, connecting rods, crankshafts to see if any can be used again and if any minor machining is required along with what size bearings will be used during the rebuild.

You basically want to convert your L94 into an L9H or convert a crate LS3 into an L9H. Have you actually seen any GM 6.2 crate engines recently? They've been eluding me!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 XL Denali as well and did a cam swap including oil pump in my garage. Got some bad lifter trays from an aftermarket vendor and ended up doing the job 3x until I figured it out. But now it’ll outrun pert near anything else’s in its weight class.

Are you handy, have some tools and comfortable working on this truck? If so, we’ll get you through the job and you’ll spend about $1500 in parts. If not, a Jasper L9H will run you $8K installed but is basically an L94 without AFM.

180K is nothing on the bottom end on these if they’ve been maintained well and run on premium fuel. If I were in your shoes, I’d tear into that thing and put a new cam, lifters, pushrods and oil pump in it. It’ll take you 1-2 weekends and it’ll feel good when you’re done.

Wander

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2012 XL Denali as well and did a cam swap including oil pump in my garage. Got some bad lifter trays from an aftermarket vendor and ended up doing the job 3x until I figured it out. But now it’ll outrun pert near anything else’s in its weight class.

Are you handy, have some tools and comfortable working on this truck? If so, we’ll get you through the job and you’ll spend about $1500 in parts. If not, a Jasper L9H will run you $8K installed but is basically an L94 without AFM.

180K is nothing on the bottom end on these if they’ve been maintained well and run on premium fuel. If I were in your shoes, I’d tear into that thing and put a new cam, lifters, pushrods and oil pump in it. It’ll take you 1-2 weekends and it’ll feel good when you’re done.
I have just run into the lifter failure problem on a "new to us" 2012 Yukon XL Denali. It's at 170k and calling a couple places puts the repair bill out of range for us. And I've been watching some videos and it looks like something I can do. Now I'm trying to figure out the right kit/parts.

This is my wife's daily driver and we pull a trailer a few times a year but other than that I'm not worried about increasing performance, getting it running again and reliability is the focus.

There is one from AMS racing that looked about right, but I'm not far enough in to know what the lifter options mean. Is there a canned kit I can get that has everything I would need?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have just run into the lifter failure problem on a "new to us" 2012 Yukon XL Denali. It's at 170k and calling a couple places puts the repair bill out of range for us. And I've been watching some videos and it looks like something I can do. Now I'm trying to figure out the right kit/parts.

This is my wife's daily driver and we pull a trailer a few times a year but other than that I'm not worried about increasing performance, getting it running again and reliability is the focus.

There is one from AMS racing that looked about right, but I'm not far enough in to know what the lifter options mean. Is there a canned kit I can get that has everything I would need?
Texas speed and performance sells pre-packaged DoD delete kits that include much of what you need. But, you can also get a factory cam from the L92 or L9H - both are Gen IV 6.2L without AFM but they retain VVT. The L9H cam plus Chevrolet Performance LS7 lifters and GM lifter trays would make a great core of an inexpensive cam swap project and you can keep all of the stock rockers and springs. Here is a complete parts list for you if you want to roll your own:

Special tools to have on hand before you start:
Hope this is helpful. Let us know if you decide to tackle the project and good luck! Here are my notes from when I did mine:

Last edited:

Wander

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Texas speed and performance sells pre-packaged DoD delete kits that include much of what you need. But, you can also get a factory cam from the L92 or L9H - both are Gen IV 6.2L without AFM but they retain VVT. The L9H cam plus Chevrolet Performance LS7 lifters and GM lifter trays would make a great core of an inexpensive cam swap project and you can keep all of the stock rockers and springs. Here is a complete parts list for you if you want to roll your own:

Special tools to have on hand before you start:
Hope this is helpful. Let us know if you decide to tackle the project and good luck! Here are my notes from when I did mine:

Thank you, this is perfect! I'll look through everything and start ordering soon.

rdezs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Pay attention to which camshaft they package when looking for the AFM DOD delete for the 6.2 on their website. It will likely only offer you the lower lift camshaft that came on the 6.0. You will obviously lose some horsepower on that. The correct camshaft is from the l9h engine as detailed in the list above in the previous post. That is assuming you want to keep it basically stock and just not have the AFM DOD and retain the variable valve timing.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Door #3 is slapping in an L96 6.0L 360/380 hp/tq from a 3/4 or 1T truck. No DOD/AFM, e85, iron block, aluminum heads runs on Reg gas and turn key install. You’ll just need a tune to turn off the AFM in your existing ECM. Do a cam swap if you want the full 400hp back of the 6.2L.

I finally got this done a couple weeks ago. Thanks to everyone here for your input, especially Swathdiver. Your assessment was spot on. This was plug and play with the tune, runs great on regular gas. I think we're going to go back into the tune a little, we just used the stock L96 parameters. Gas mileage is down about 2 MPG, but O2 sensor and fuel trim data look perfect on my Snap on scan tool. I'm thinking that the premium fuel L94 with more aggressive timing may just be a bit more efficient. Anyway, I'm very pleased with the results and the increased bottom end torque is noticeable.

Reaction score
Pay attention to which camshaft they package when looking for the AFM DOD delete for the 6.2 on their website. It will likely only offer you the lower lift camshaft that came on the 6.0. You will obviously lose some horsepower on that. The correct camshaft is from the l9h engine as detailed in the list above in the previous post. That is assuming you want to keep it basically stock and just not have the AFM DOD and retain the variable valve timing.
when I was checking this site last the packages offered the cam that's identical to an LS7 cam. When I posted about it many asked if I was turbo charging my engine, which I was not. If you don't care for a special cam Check rock auto for an L92 cam or an L9H cam and buy it separately. just did this and started the dismantling of my engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan