2011 Tahoe squeaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rummel6

Reaction score
Just purchased this Tahoe with 178k and one owner with maticulas Maint record I have a squeak it’s coming from the back of the motor and cannot he heard until the motor heats up I have already replaced idler pulley,water pump,tensioner,power steering pump and alternator so there not the problem here is the video
Took it to dealer and they said rear main seal but want over 1600 to fix anyone have any ideas

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the belt off and try spinning the pulleys by hand to find the noisy one, you could also try a set of stethoscope from the auto parts store there cheap. or just use a hollow metal tube as a tip piece and a length of rubber line held to your ear

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What Wes said, Steve said and Wade said. In over 35+ years in a shop I have never heard a rear main seal make a noise and that noise sounds like up front and not at the rear. One inexpensive tool all owners should have is a mechanic's stethoscope. A few others come to mind but are just a little bit more money but they save time.

OP
OP
Rummel6

Rummel6

Reaction score
So the dealership removed both belts and noise is still there also I have the metal stethoscope and so confirmed it is coming from the area between the engine and torque converter is located

OP
OP
Rummel6

Rummel6

Reaction score
Also like I said when the motor is cold no sound has to heat up and above 1500rpm when revving you can’t hear it that why I’m so puzzled on what it is

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rummel6

Rummel6

Reaction score
Also realized when I changed the oil two days ago there was oil on the back side of the engine around where the filter is so I assume it was loose but it wasn’t had to use tools to get it off now the dealership said there 80% sure it’s a main bearing but not sure to trust them cause they also said I have metal in the oil and I didn’t see anything in the drained oil or on the magnetic tip of the drain plug

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Look, I get it but I just never heard of such a thing. Doesn't mean it cannot happen but man, that would be a new one on me. Is your oil pressure in the normal range?

So I went searching for another time this has happened. Listen to this video:

This was on a Bronco but sounds the same. I like Fel-Pro if you go this was. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=447129&cc=3015551&jsn=2290 For the whole kit.

Or a 2 piece AC Delco with this: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6437253&cc=3015551&jsn=2291 and this: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=9838924&cc=3015551&jsn=2293

You could also take apart and shove grease in there, like in the video but you said it was wet with oil back there so I would do the replacement.

It means pulling the trans and torque converter down and removing the flex plate and then the cover. If you have jack stands, floor jack, tools and a mechanically inclined friend and watch 2-3 videos of it, it is not that difficult.

This, like the guy in the video said, is something I have never ever heard of before.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just purchased this Tahoe with 178k and one owner with maticulas Maint record I have a squeak it’s coming from the back of the motor and cannot he heard until the motor heats up I have already replaced idler pulley,water pump,tensioner,power steering pump and alternator so there not the problem here is the video
Took it to dealer and they said rear main seal but want over 1600 to fix anyone have any ideas

Sounds like a pulley to me, got louder when you put camera in front and towards passenger side. I would stick the stethoscope right onto the moving pulleys and have a listen. One time I melted a piston in a drag race and it sounded similar though higher in pitch. Start with the simple stuff!