2010 tahoe starting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10whthoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2010 tahoe and just this past week it started to start oddly. When you turn the key the starter will stay engaged longer that it normally does and after it starts you smell gas very strongly. After doing some research it seems that everything points to the fuel pressure regulator. So I have been trying to find the part number which I’m having trouble doing. I was hoping that somebody has had this issue and can confirm my assumption that it is this part and hopefully they can help out with the part number. I want oem, not aftermarket thanks in advance

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a basic search for 2010 Tahoe fuel pressure regulator and got several options including oem. If you have a scan tool or can go have it done that’ll help. Fuel won’t cause starter engaging too long.

OP
OP

10whthoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did a basic search for 2010 Tahoe fuel pressure regulator and got several options including oem. If you have a scan tool or can go have it done that’ll help. Fuel won’t cause starter engaging too long.

Thanks for info. However a bad fuel pressure regulator will cause the starter to stay engaged on the initial start up. The regulator holds the pressure and overnight when it sits it slowly looses pressure causing the engine to turn more because it’s buliding pressure/prime. After the initial start the vehicle will start normal because the pressure isn’t being lost that fast because vehicle isn’t sitting that long.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Thanks for info. However a bad fuel pressure regulator will cause the starter to stay engaged on the initial start up. The regulator holds the pressure and overnight when it sits it slowly looses pressure causing the engine to turn more because it’s buliding pressure/prime. After the initial start the vehicle will start normal because the pressure isn’t being lost that fast because vehicle isn’t sitting that long.

I think it is the way you worded it that was misleading.

You having to keep the starter engaged longer is the EFFECT of the engine losing prime from sitting overnight. It is not CAUSING the starter to remain engaged longer, you are having to hold the key in the start position longer to get the truck to start. YOU are causing the starter to stay engaged longer because it's not starting like normal.

When I first read your post it sounded like the starter pinion wasn't retracting properly (staying engaged) and i thought your starter needed to be replaced.

If you think it is the pressure regulator try this.

When you get in the truck for the first time in the morning DON'T turn the key directly to the start position.

Instead turn it to the RUN position and listen for the fuel pump.
After the fuel pump shuts off turn the key back to OFF and wait a couple seconds and turn the key back to RUN.
Again listen for the fuel pump and when it stops turn the key back OFF.
Again turn the key to RUN and this time when the fuel pump stops turn the key to START and see if it fires up easier for you.

Following the process I outlined above you are priming the fuel system and if the regulator is the problem them this should help.

OP
OP

10whthoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think it is the way you worded it that was misleading.

You having to keep the starter engaged longer is the EFFECT of the engine losing prime from sitting overnight. It is not CAUSING the starter to remain engaged longer, you are having to hold the key in the start position longer to get the truck to start. YOU are causing the starter to stay engaged longer because it's not starting like normal.

When I first read your post it sounded like the starter pinion wasn't retracting properly (staying engaged) and i thought your starter needed to be replaced.

If you think it is the pressure regulator try this.

When you get in the truck for the first time in the morning DON'T turn the key directly to the start position.

Instead turn it to the RUN position and listen for the fuel pump.
After the fuel pump shuts off turn the key back to OFF and wait a couple seconds and turn the key back to RUN.
Again listen for the fuel pump and when it stops turn the key back OFF.
Again turn the key to RUN and this time when the fuel pump stops turn the key to START and see if it fires up easier for you.

Following the process I outlined above you are priming the fuel system and if the regulator is the problem them this should help.

Yes, I have done that and it does work. If I turn the key to the run position and then off and then start it, it starts up fine. Being that I’m having trouble finding the part I wonder if the regulator is with the pump by the tank? It doesn’t seem to be by the rail on the motor as depicted in many other videos/info I have seen. Do you happen to have any idea? Thank you.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Yes, I have done that and it does work. If I turn the key to the run position and then off and then start it, it starts up fine. Being that I’m having trouble finding the part I wonder if the regulator is with the pump by the tank? It doesn’t seem to be by the rail on the motor as depicted in many other videos/info I have seen. Do you happen to have any idea? Thank you.

That is correct.

The '07-'14 GMT900 trucks don't have a fuel return line so the pressure regulator is in the fuel pump assembly in the tank unfortunately.

OP
OP

10whthoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That is correct.

The '07-'14 GMT900 trucks don't have a fuel return line so the pressure regulator is in the fuel pump assembly in the tank unfortunately.

That’s what I was afraid of. I can’t wait to see what this is gonna run me.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks K I thought I read it wrong. The regulator and install isn’t bad much cheaper than having it done due to just labor. Look at everything in the tank while it’s out might save you from doing it again for another part I think the whole unit isn’t too bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE