Transmission is slipping on my 2010 Tahoe, going to get a rebuild need some advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justinthewoods

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey y’all,

I’m having slipping in 3rd and 4th on my 2010 Tahoe LT and am going to have my transmission rebuilt and have my engine mounts changed out. Found a shop near me that has been in business since 1980 with 500+ reviews on google with a 4.9 rating. I shopped around on the quote they gave me and it seems reasonable. Does anyone have tips on what I should have the shop to do to make the transmission last me as long as possible, certain brand of clutch etc.(sorry I’m not super mechanical and want to make sure this trans last long as possible) I won’t be towing on the daily, do have a seadoo that I will be pulling around in summer maybe 10 times or so up hills ( I live in Colorado) and a boat every once and while. I really appreciate you guys in this community! Y’all kick ass. Much love,

Justin

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the trans taking a dump. Local shop, long time in Buss w/ high rating is good start. Is it 4WD? If so, buy the front diff mounts from R/A for $25 ea (vs $95 local) so you can get the new bushings pre installed.

Replace both motor & the trans mount, oil pres sensor. If the pan is leaking replace the seal & oil pump O ring now as all this other stuff usually requires an extra $1500 labor when the trans is not out of the truck.

Exh mani are coming off too so if your want ARP exh studs, now’s the time, labor is free. Order new exh mani gaskets too. Again, labor is free.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all,

I’m having slipping in 3rd and 4th on my 2010 Tahoe LT and am going to have my transmission rebuilt and have my engine mounts changed out. Found a shop near me that has been in business since 1980 with 500+ reviews on google with a 4.9 rating. I shopped around on the quote they gave me and it seems reasonable. Does anyone have tips on what I should have the shop to do to make the transmission last me as long as possible, certain brand of clutch etc.(sorry I’m not super mechanical and want to make sure this trans last long as possible) I won’t be towing on the daily, do have a seadoo that I will be pulling around in summer maybe 10 times or so up hills ( I live in Colorado) and a boat every once and while. I really appreciate you guys in this community! Y’all kick ass. Much love,

Justin
Assuming you have the 6L80, all of the info you need is right here:

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all,

Justin
Ask shops for a list of what they will be installing and doing to the transmission, compare their answers to the list in my 6L80E info thread (call back anyone whom you've already talked to if you didnt get that info initially). For tow/haul I recommend a billet converter cover in addition to having a .070" thick clutch installed among all the other things. Also consider a tune from Black Bear Performance.

These transmissions need quite a lot of updating and correction upon overhaul so it's critical you find a shop that knows them well.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask shops for a list of what they will be installing and doing to the transmission, compare their answers to the list in my 6L80E info thread (call back anyone whom you've already talked to if you didnt get that info initially). For tow/haul I recommend a billet converter cover in addition to having a .070" thick clutch installed among all the other things. Also consider a tune from Black Bear Performance.

These transmissions need quite a lot of updating and correction upon overhaul so it's critical you find a shop that knows them well.
You should start shipping out transmissions just from all the forum members that need them lol.

Caddylack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might sell the strong trans from my 13 PPV… RWD…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts