2010 Tahoe 5.3L oil pressure question (yes i read many threads)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

totalpackage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So about 5 months ago had the sensor replaced which led to putting in a high oil pressure pump and replacing the seal to bring it up to about 41lb on startup. not sure about the small filter. As time has went bye it seems to sit at about 25lb after warmed up and traveling at 55mph. At idle after warm, it is at 20lb. No codes or engine light are shown. Is this normal pressure. I have 140,000 miles on it.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your symptoms don't sound as bad as some of the other stories you will read online, what makes you think you have a problem? Based on what you said so far I don't think there is any reason for concern.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
With any oil pressure problem I ALWAYS recommend comparing your cold start, warm up, warm driving at cruise speed and warm acceleration, on the gauge and with a trusted mechanical gauge. Yes, I know it is a PITA to attach gauge with long enough hose to tape to w/s and watch the readings, but that is just too bad.

OP
OP
totalpackage

totalpackage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your symptoms don't sound as bad as some of the other stories you will read online, what makes you think you have a problem? Based on what you said so far I don't think there is any reason for concern.
It’s out of just worries for it. After the 2 month process of it going low and throwing codes. Having it replaced and I do not recall it fluctuating like it does now. Seems it stayed between 30-40lb. I know it throws a code when under 15 so it sitting at 15 on idle is worrisome I guess. I also need to put over 2k in tires and front end items so before dropping that money, I wanted to make sure the engine is worth it being the age it is. I am 3rd owner.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s out of just worries for it. After the 2 month process of it going low and throwing codes. Having it replaced and I do not recall it fluctuating like it does now. Seems it stayed between 30-40lb. I know it throws a code when under 15 so it sitting at 15 on idle is worrisome I guess. I also need to put over 2k in tires and front end items so before dropping that money, I wanted to make sure the engine is worth it being the age it is. I am 3rd owner.
maybe I’m not understanding you, I know when I replaced my sensor it made the oil pressure gauge act differently than before.

Does yours drop low enough to trigger a oil light or check engine light ?

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's totally normal and fine.. Relax, drive, enjoy the ride !!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
totalpackage

totalpackage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe I’m not understanding you, I know when I replaced my sensor it made the oil pressure gauge act differently than before.

Does yours drop low enough to trigger a oil light or check engine light ?
No, not once the seal and pump was replaced. It does seem to vary more than 4 years ago but maybe thats age?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo