2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Crew Cab AWD- QUESTION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am looking at acquiring a new rig. Specifically looking at a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Crew Cab AWD. This truck comes with the 6.2 engine. Anyone have any thoughts on this compared to the an 08-09 Sierra SLT 4wd? I know it all depends on what my plans are for it, but specifically wondering about the engine performance. I have only owned 5.3 trucks. Appreciate any feedback or considerations.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only thing I'd say is from what I read the 6.2 requires 93, where the 5.3 is fine on 87. everyone that has a 6.2 loves them thou, so it's eh. just a heads up to think about sometimes 93 can be a full dollar more.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think you’ll be upset with the 6.2. I believe that year may not have AFM. At least the 6.2’s in the Yukons didn’t, but they did have VVT which is nice.

They do recommend premium but if it’s Flex Fuel, you can run E85 as stated. Not sure if the 6.2’s of that year were setup as flex fuel.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t think you’ll be upset with the 6.2. I believe that year may not have AFM. At least the 6.2’s in the Yukons didn’t, but they did have VVT which is nice.

They do recommend premium but if it’s Flex Fuel, you can run E85 as stated. Not sure if the 6.2’s of that year were setup as flex fuel.
Oh yeah, you're right. The 08 Sierra Denali would be a L92 which has VVT but not E85 capable. It also doesn't have the dreaded AFM system, thankfully.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
That’s kinda a unicorn truck now. It has the stupid simple AWD and AFM’less 6.2L that loves these 3T trucks because it doesn’t work hard at all. It’s e85 ready if you purchase a kit to add the sensor & tune.

My 09 has literally paid the purchase price of the truck from savings running e85. The other benefit is zero carbon deposits on the intake & internals so runs cooler, longer oil change intervals leading to longevity of the 6.2.

Take it for a drive and stop on is from a 10-20mph rolling start. You’ll be in love. If it’s wet, it’ll make up your mind right there because the tail never swings out with AWD. Same goes for 60+ on rainy highways. The AWD keeps it from getting away when hitting partial lakes that accumulate next to the fast or slow lanes. EZ to add factory BT option of the 09+ too.

It doesn’t have the low efficiency headlamps the SUV Denali has but still retains the z55 autoride and 20’s eliminate the badonka donk its lighter rear end has on highway cruising speeds. The interior fit & finish speaks for itself. Have fun!

OP
OP
Dantheman-2003

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All,
Thanks for the thoughts. I’m not so concerned with fuel mileage etc. it’s a truck and I don’t expect it to do great. But good to know there’s options! I will explore this more…

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Not too many chime into this forum on the Cousin to the Denali SUV in P/U truck form. Did a quick look and see that All 08-13 Sierra Denali got the e85 L9H non AFM 6.2L motor. GM doesn’t offer AWD anymore in 14+.

Apparently GM did add AFM to the 5.3L pick ups but of course back to no AFM on the 6.0L in the 3/4 & 1T trucks.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am looking at acquiring a new rig. Specifically looking at a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Crew Cab AWD. This truck comes with the 6.2 engine. Anyone have any thoughts on this compared to the an 08-09 Sierra SLT 4wd? I know it all depends on what my plans are for it, but specifically wondering about the engine performance. I have only owned 5.3 trucks. Appreciate any feedback or considerations.
How will you use it? Off-roading? Towing?

The 2008s L92 motor is rated for 403 horses and requires 91+ octane. Be careful though, a lot cheapskates ran these engines with regular and after about 100K miles, they have busted rings and pistons.

The glorious 6.2 is so much more powerful than the 5.3. Tonight, my daughter cracked into the 14s with her bone stock 2013 6.2 Sierra. She's learning how to launch and drive it.

Initially, I preferred a 4x4 but knowing what I know now, an AWD truck would suit me fine as well.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Yea you might say the 6.2L doesn’t have any issues merging on to the highway from an on-ramp. I never knew a Denali, Esky and some of the GM trucks had over 400hp the way most people drive them.

Seems kinda sketchy having a 2WD w/ a 6.2 knowing that if you ran over a cup of water at a stop light you could lay out a 100 foot long strip of rubber at a hard launch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts