2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Crew Cab AWD- QUESTION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dantheman-2003

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How will you use it? Off-roading? Towing?

The 2008s L92 motor is rated for 403 horses and requires 91+ octane. Be careful though, a lot cheapskates ran these engines with regular and after about 100K miles, they have busted rings and pistons.

The glorious 6.2 is so much more powerful than the 5.3. Tonight, my daughter cracked into the 14s with her bone stock 2013 6.2 Sierra. She's learning how to launch and drive it.

Initially, I preferred a 4x4 but knowing what I know now, an AWD truck would suit me fine as well.
@swathdiver - Great considerations there. Depends who owned it and what gas they ran in it. Kind of a guess at this point. Ima test drive it this weekend and she how she runs. Regarding the use, it will mainly be a truck to put around in. I live in the north east hills of California. We get a little snow now and then. I like to hunt, and might go out on some groomed fire roads. Definitely this tuck will not be used for extreme off-roading/wheeling.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver - Great considerations there. Depends who owned it and what gas they ran in it. Kind of a guess at this point. Ima test drive it this weekend and she how she runs. Regarding the use, it will mainly be a truck to put around in. I live in the north east hills of California. We get a little snow now and then. I like to hunt, and might go out on some groomed fire roads. Definitely this tuck will not be used for extreme off-roading/wheeling.
It should suit you fine then. Just remember that when off road, AWD drives a little differently than 4x4s, speed is life with AWD.

TFL truck did a review of a 2013 Sierra Denali way back when. Grumpy complained about it, he was waiting for the new body style, but she did everything he asked the truck to do and never got stuck and he loved the power of the engine, still does to this day.

We've ditched our mud and all-terrain tires for Michelin Defenders and still go play in the woods and muck without issue. I'm sure it'll happen someday, but that's what the recovery gear is for!

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Our 08 was black on black. The truck is sooo much prettier than the suv.

1F9AA72E-79E5-4E87-BA8B-FD34922B5622.jpeg

Indestructible leather interior and camouflages almost all dirt truck in the interior. I do miss it dearly but had to get e85 for the $85 fill ups since it’s a daily.

Happy hunting!

OP
OP
Dantheman-2003

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 08 was black on black. The truck is sooo much prettier than the suv.

View attachment 420574

Indestructible leather interior and camouflages almost all dirt truck in the interior. I do miss it dearly but had to get e85 for the $85 fill ups since it’s a daily.

Happy hunting!
Nice Pete!! Yeah that e85 is tempting. I may consider a conversion kit, we’ll see. I’m going to tune it anyways so that might be something I investigate.

OP
OP
Dantheman-2003

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: First, I want to thank everyone who chimed in here. Unfortunately, this mission was a bust. Went down this afternoon to look at this rig and sad to say it was in pretty bad shape. Massive oil leak underneath and soiled everywhere , shift points felt weird, interior smelled like BO plus allot of other cosmetic flaws. If it were in better shape, I’d consider. BUT!!! The good news is a found an 09 Z71 in nearly perfect condition! Will post a pic in the morning it’s been one hell of a long day.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No 2007-2013 Sierra Denali had AFM. That alone is the reason to buy one over an SLT.

Pretty much any of these trucks you buy these days are going to need work. They’re all 12+ years old. They’re going to have multiple leaks, worn suspension, broken interior pieces, etc. I wouldn’t buy one without the expectation of spending a few thousand on it to get it up to ***** unless you’re one of those people who can drive around a car falling apart around you. Be patient and find a good starting point, but it will very likely still need work. I think it’s worth it considering how much the new ones cost but I’m in the minority.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan