2007 Tahoe Tailgate - Auto Lift Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cam3439

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just another thought. It may be that the lock actuator is working to lock and unlock but not sending the signal to the clutch on the lift arm.

It could be. Body codes would help here. However, the other parts underneath the panel and signals sent through the harness could be tested.

OP
OP
U

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He’s mainly pointing out his issue (door lock actuator) and how to open the door should that failure happen when it’s closed. Sometimes the sensors remain functional but the gears strip in that actuator. Sometimes the gears strip in the motor located in the driver’s side rear panel, or those motors fail.

The fact that your door will unlock points to an issue elsewhere. I’m assuming it also locks just fine.

Yeah, no issue with locking or unlocking. The door moves fine when I manually open or close it - no grinding gears or need for excessive force. The latch is what's making all the noise, but it's the same noise that the door has always made even when it was fully functional. It may be the lift arm on the drivers side - when it tries to open, I can hear that motor start to run, then it kind of "pops" and nothing happens (even though the latch keeps making noise).

I got a new latch to replace the old one, but it seems like that may not be the issue. I was trying to avoid opening all the frames around the door and interior, but it sounds like I may have to open it all up to see what's going on. Thanks for all the continued tips and advice - this is very helpful!

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read through all these posts in this thread because my '07 Yukon XL Denali is doing the same thing, not raising nor lowering the tailgate with the power from the motor, I can raise and lower the tailgate manually and latch/unlatch without any problems. When I try to use any (remote, handle, or front button) power function (up or down) it just makes some noises like it is trying to open/close the tailgate.

I'll look on Youtube for some instructions on the liftgate motor.

Like Arnold said "I'll be back!"

OP
OP
U

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read through all these posts in this thread because my '07 Yukon XL Denali is doing the same thing, not raising nor lowering the tailgate with the power from the motor, I can raise and lower the tailgate manually and latch/unlatch without any problems. When I try to use any (remote, handle, or front button) power function (up or down) it just makes some noises like it is trying to open/close the tailgate.

Good to know that someone else is looking for a solution! I'm still having trouble with this...

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I went through that on my 2009 for a short while. Then I discovered my tailgate was switched off at the roof console. If you've already tried that maybe the switch is bad?

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through that on my 2009 for a short while. Then I discovered my tailgate was switched off at the roof console. If you've already tried that maybe the switch is bad?
Tried using the console switch a couple times, moved it to manual and back, just seems like there is an issue with the lift because it tries to open or goes through a short cycle.

Any idea of how to tell if the switch is bad?

OP
OP
U

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried using the console switch a couple times, moved it to manual and back, just seems like there is an issue with the lift because it tries to open or goes through a short cycle.

Any idea of how to tell if the switch is bad?
Same situation for me. The motor is definitely getting power (I can hear it trying to open). It’s as if the motor slips just enough so the gear never kicks in.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine was switched off the motor still cycled, just didn't do anything.

OP
OP
U

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine was switched off the motor still cycled, just didn't do anything.
Hmm interesting. I’ve tried switching mine on and off and I get the same result- noises as if it’s trying to open, but the lift gate never actually lifts.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm interesting. I’ve tried switching mine on and off and I get the same result- noises as if it’s trying to open, but the lift gate never actually lifts.
It's probably easier to check that switch than most other things. Then move upstream or downstream from there depending on whether there's power there (almost certainly is) and whether the switch is applying power to a wire going to the tailgate somewhere. If it's sending power make sure it's getting to where it should. Etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyguy88

Latest posts