01 Shutting off no crank, no start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

builds4christ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got this 01 Burban 5.3 from a buddy that's been giving me some problems. It randomly shuts off and randomly gives me a no crank no start.

Eventually it works again. Initially I was having some trouble fully disarming the viper alarm system and decided to remove that all together. Now all that's left is the passlock right?

I tried wiggling the key while it's running but nothing happens.

Do you guys have any guidance for me on how to approach this problem? It happens infrequently, but it has left me stranded once and I'm not confident in actually driving it anywhere, which sucks.

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got this 01 Burban 5.3 from a buddy that's been giving me some problems. It randomly shuts off and randomly gives me a no crank no start.

Eventually it works again. Initially I was having some trouble fully disarming the viper alarm system and decided to remove that all together. Now all that's left is the passlock right?

I tried wiggling the key while it's running but nothing happens.

Do you guys have any guidance for me on how to approach this problem? It happens infrequently, but it has left me stranded once and I'm not confident in actually driving it anywhere, which sucks.
Check the simple stuff. Make sure those battery terminals are clean and snug. Sometimes, if they're not, it can mess with how your car behaves. Then, give your battery a quick check-up with a voltmeter or battery tester to see if it's in good shape.

OP
OP
B

builds4christ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would first check for corroded grounds. Very common issue.

Oh no way. I don't suppose there's diagram of where the grounds are is there? Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised because it's a North Dakota truck and has some rust for sure.

OP
OP
B

builds4christ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check the simple stuff. Make sure those battery terminals are clean and snug. Sometimes, if they're not, it can mess with how your car behaves. Then, give your battery a quick check-up with a voltmeter or battery tester to see if it's in good shape.
The battery was utterly dead and bad when I got the truck so I replaced it and the terminals. The terminals were beat to shit

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the security light flashing or remaining on after the vehicle starts? Security should not keep the engine from cranking or starting. If security is actively in lockdown then the engine will start and shutoff after about 5-10secs.

OP
OP
B

builds4christ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is the security light flashing or remaining on after the vehicle starts? Security should not keep the engine from cranking or starting. If security is actively in lockdown then the engine will start and shutoff after about 5-10secs.
I don't believe it is a security issue after some work. I removed the crappy viper alarm and did a passlock relearn. The light does not stay on after start. Checked grounds and they seem ok, sturdy and not corroded (surprisingly). Drove it around for a bit and warmed it up a good amount. Shut her down and no crank again. IDK maybe its just a bad starter?

Thank you all for your comments and information provided by the way!!!

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had similar symptoms present differently.
Symptoms have improved since I cleaned the throttle body, but the saga continues.
Will try changing flex fuel concentration composition sensor & O2 sensors next ...

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way the VATS works is: engine cranks and fires, but the ECU will kill both injector pulse, spark and fuel pressure instantaneously.

It basically and dies immediately. Agree: that doesn't sound like your symptoms...

In your situation, you may have more than one issue going on. Intermittently sticking starter is one possibility on the no-crank condition. Next time it won't crank go down there and tap the starter while a helper tries to crank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qurba55