Lift Gate Won’t Open (Manually or Auto)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lift gate on my 2007 Tahoe will no longer open either manually or automatically. First the auto feature stopped working with the main problem being the lift gear/mechanism above the driver side rear wheel. At that point I could still manually open the lift gate. However, recently the main latch directly under the handle on the lift gate seems to be jammed, and I can’t open the gate at all.

Has anyone had this problem? I can’t find any easy way to access the latch beneath the handle without possibly cutting into the plastic from the inside. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once you get it opened, it may be time to replace the two struts that help the tailgate motor lift the tailgate.

OP
OP
U

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you get it opened, it may be time to replace the two struts that help the tailgate motor lift the tailgate.
Are those located above the rear, driver side wheel? It sounds like there’s a gear in there that won’t engage properly, thus the auto lift feature doesn’t work anymore.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a strut (shock tube) on either side of the tailgate in full view, going from the truck body to the tailgate. Not the arm that is connected to the lift motor.

OP
OP
U

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a strut (shock tube) on either side of the tailgate in full view, going from the truck body to the tailgate. Not the arm that is connected to the lift motor.
Gotcha. I replaced those a few years ago when the hydraulics went out and the gate wouldn’t stay up on its own, so I think those are ok now. It’s the mechanism that automatically lifts and lowers the gate that seems to be broken (in addition to the latch near the handle).

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem could be any number of things. GMs fix is for a bigger hole than that shown in the video, GM sells a plug to go into the new hole so it's there should you ever need to open the gate that way.

GM OE - Lower Trim Panel Plug - Inoperative Liftgate Modification - 20986933

OP
OP
U

ugadawgs311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I did what’s shown in the video above, and was able to get the gate open, but then I couldn’t shut it. It took some tinkering, but I was finally able to release the lock mechanism so I could close the gate again, but now it won’t open.

I think the issue might be the actuator. For whatever reason, the latch that locks and unlocks the door won’t move on its own anymore, thus the gate won’t open.

Does that sound like an actuator problem? I wonder what the repair cost of those are…

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I did what’s shown in the video above, and was able to get the gate open, but then I couldn’t shut it. It took some tinkering, but I was finally able to release the lock mechanism so I could close the gate again, but now it won’t open.

I think the issue might be the actuator. For whatever reason, the latch that locks and unlocks the door won’t move on its own anymore, thus the gate won’t open.

Does that sound like an actuator problem? I wonder what the repair cost of those are…

I replaced the actuator in my Suburban last summer. I don't remember the exact behavior, but I do remember being dubious that replacing the actuator would solve the problem. I went aftermarket cheap ($75) because of the uncertainty, plus the Delco unit was almost $300. Watched a few YouTube videos and got it done in less than an hour. Problem solved, works as advertised. Still working 7 months later.

Liftgate Latch Lock Actuator... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081SLBKJ5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar