2007 Tahoe power seats gears stripped/broken teeth?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
During forward & backward operation the motor spins no problem and the seat moves back & forth but it's jerky and will stop and start moving during operation. It's not smooth either it's like rough and crunchy. I'm thinking the gears that move the seat along the threaded rods are either stripped or missing teeth. No doubt they're made of plastic, and why wouldn't they be? :eyeroll:
My question is have any of you experienced this and what is the cheapest way to fix it?
It doesn't appear these gears can be swapped out and I'm not seeing just the replacement gears for sale anywhere online. Are we basically forced to replace the entire seat frame sliding bracket assembly thing?
If that's the case I'm sure it's not cheap... UGH!

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
During forward & backward operation the motor spins no problem and the seat moves back & forth but it's jerky and will stop and start moving during operation. It's not smooth either it's like rough and crunchy. I'm thinking the gears that move the seat along the threaded rods are either stripped or missing teeth. No doubt they're made of plastic, and why wouldn't they be? :eyeroll:
My question is have any of you experienced this and what is the cheapest way to fix it?
It doesn't appear these gears can be swapped out and I'm not seeing just the replacement gears for sale anywhere online. Are we basically forced to replace the entire seat frame sliding bracket assembly thing?
If that's the case I'm sure it's not cheap... UGH!

Check out Gruven...

https://www.gruvenparts.com/shop-by-car/gm-truck

They have lots of upgraded stuff for our trucks...

Not sure if the seat height adjustment gears are the same or not but I would check with Paul at Gruven... he could tell you.

Hope this helps.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you hear the motor turning when the seat stops moving? Most of the problems I’ve seen are the motor or gears on the motor.

OP
OP
dross99_si

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you hear the motor turning when the seat stops moving? Most of the problems I’ve seen are the motor or gears on the motor.

Yes the motor continuously keeps spinning but the seat will stop and start moving. Has to be the gears.

kbuskill

Reaction score

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I haven't used their seat gears but their mirror gears and heater core tees are super high quality.... zero issues.

Paul is a good guy.
Thanks. I watched a video on doing the repair. It’s very straight forward. The only thing I don’t like is using JB Weld to attach the new gear. Wish they used a roll pin. Maybe I can drill it and use a roll pin...

kbuskill

Reaction score
Thanks. I watched a video on doing the repair. It’s very straight forward. The only thing I don’t like is using JB Weld to attach the new gear. Wish they used a roll pin. Maybe I can drill it and use a roll pin...

I'm not sure as I have never messed with the seat gears.

When I ordered my mirror gears I ordered the ones that are already JB welded to the shafts so I didn't have to wait 24 hours for cure time. It made the install much faster obviously. I have had zero issues from them, granted they are just folding mirrors in and out and don't have any real weight on the gears like a person sitting in a seat.

I'm not sure if Gruven offers the seat gears already epoxied to the shaft or not as I have never even looked at their seat gears.

I know Paul is pretty good about making sure that his products exceed factory specs, so if he thinks the JB weld is sufficient then it probably would never be an issue.

Perhaps you could drill it and pin it though... keep us posted.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442