2007 - 2014 GMT900 SUV Model Updates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2012 Suburban LTZ 4wd. I'm not too familiar with these models as I am the K2XX and GMT800s.

I'd love to know what updates GM did to this platform over the model years (electrical, mechanical, cosmetic, etc). I did some searching, but didn't find a comprehensive list (could be operator error, lol).

If I end up purchasing it, I'll be pouring over the electrical upfitter manual and determining what connectors/terminals are available. I build wiring harnesses for the K2XX SUV platform to allow folks to add factory options and hope to be able to do the same with the GMT900 SUV. Please let me know popular options that people would like to add.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2012 Suburban LTZ 4wd. I'm not too familiar with these models as I am the K2XX and GMT800s.

I'd love to know what updates GM did to this platform over the model years (electrical, mechanical, cosmetic, etc). I did some searching, but didn't find a comprehensive list (could be operator error, lol).

If I end up purchasing it, I'll be pouring over the electrical upfitter manual and determining what connectors/terminals are available. I build wiring harnesses for the K2XX SUV platform to allow folks to add factory options and hope to be able to do the same with the GMT900 SUV. Please let me know popular options that people would like to add.
Is that you’re professional job? Or is it a hobby? Either way it’s pretty cool!

OP
OP
C

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It started as a hobby and has progressed into a side hustle. In time, I hope it continues to grow. I'm not aware of anyone doing this for the GMT900 platform and would like to offer this resource to those owners.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2012 Suburban LTZ 4wd.

I'd love to know what updates GM did to this platform over the model years (electrical, mechanical, cosmetic, etc).

The navigation unit was upgraded, the display and format is newer and the mapping system is hard drive based which also allows for additional features for listening to the radio.

The truck has Hill Start Assist and Trailer Sway Control. They also got Cruise Grade Braking - Normal Mode.

You should have an all aluminum LC9 engine, and these received VVT in 2010 which gave them a solid 1 MPG improvement over the earlier design (2007-2009). I think in 2012, the LC9 in the VIN went from Engine Code 3 to 7.

After 2009, one could get a 4x4 Suburban with 3.08 gears (GU4) and a single speed transfer case (MP3010 - NP0). This reduces maximum towing capacity. Trucks with K5L have a larger radiator, 700 watt cooling fans, an external engine oil cooler (KC4) (left side of radiator tank) and an external transmission oil cooler (KNP) (front of radiator). 4x4s with 3.42 (GU6) gears have a 2-speed transfer case (MP3023 - NQH) and if they have the features of K5L, can tow up to 8,000 pounds.

Yours "might" also have aluminum upper and or lower control arms up front.

So with regards to towing:
5.3 4x4 with 3.08 gears = 5,000 pounds and GCWR of 11,000 pounds
5.3 4x4 with 3.42 gears = 5,500 pounds and GCWR of 11,500 pounds
5.3 4x4 with 3.42 gears and K5L = 8,000 pounds and GCWR of 14,000 pounds.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about adding the cooled seat option? I'd like to add that and maybe the Side Blind Zone Alert to my truck someday. I believe one would also need to program modules and therefore need a bi-directional scan tool and a subscription to ACDelco's TDS system.

OP
OP
C

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The navigation unit was upgraded, the display and format is newer and the mapping system is hard drive based which also allows for additional features for listening to the radio.

The truck has Hill Start Assist and Trailer Sway Control. They also got Cruise Grade Braking - Normal Mode.

You should have an all aluminum LC9 engine, and these received VVT in 2010 which gave them a solid 1 MPG improvement over the earlier design (2007-2009). I think in 2012, the LC9 in the VIN went from Engine Code 3 to 7.

After 2009, one could get a 4x4 Suburban with 3.08 gears (GU4) and a single speed transfer case (MP3010 - NP0). This reduces maximum towing capacity. Trucks with K5L have a larger radiator, 700 watt cooling fans, an external engine oil cooler (KC4) (left side of radiator tank) and an external transmission oil cooler (KNP) (front of radiator). 4x4s with 3.42 (GU6) gears have a 2-speed transfer case (MP3023 - NQH) and if they have the features of K5L, can tow up to 8,000 pounds.

Yours "might" also have aluminum upper and or lower control arms up front.

So with regards to towing:
5.3 4x4 with 3.08 gears = 5,000 pounds and GCWR of 11,000 pounds
5.3 4x4 with 3.42 gears = 5,500 pounds and GCWR of 11,500 pounds
5.3 4x4 with 3.42 gears and K5L = 8,000 pounds and GCWR of 14,000 pounds.

Awesome, this is the kind of info I'm looking for. I ended up bringing it home this evening. It's got the K5L, 3.42 rear end and LC9 aluminum block. You're correct, VIN code 7 for the LC9.

It looks like the control arms are steel, but I'll have to investigate further. Any reason GM would use one over the other?

On the Hill Start Assist, Trailer Sway Control & Cruise Grade Braking; are those automatically engaged? Obviously, I haven't looked over the owner's manuals yet.

Based on my limited reading, it sounds like I should pick up a Range device to disable AFM. It's also tempting to have it taken care of with a BlackBear tune.

Do the 2012 full size SUVs still use the Tech2 or did they move to the Global A communication model?

OP
OP
C

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about adding the cooled seat option? I'd like to add that and maybe the Side Blind Zone Alert to my truck someday. I believe one would also need to program modules and therefore need a bi-directional scan tool and a subscription to ACDelco's TDS system.

Challenge accepted, lol. It also seems GM added a rear power folding seat switch to the overhead console in 2013 (I'm assuming this is for the 2nd row). I'll be investigating how to add that.

upload_2020-6-16_23-0-10.png

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Challenge accepted, lol. It also seems GM added a rear power folding seat switch to the overhead console in 2013 (I'm assuming this is for the 2nd row). I'll be investigating how to add that.

View attachment 250245
Negative, they actually ‘removed’ that option in 11-12? In the oh console.

12-13 you can still use a tech 2. 13-14 is when they changed. But since 14 was a carryover year I would bet a tech2 can still be used.

hill start, tsc and grade br are automatically engaged.

I believe ‘smart suspensions‘ got alum controls arms but I am not exactly sure on that.

someone used to make a heated steering wheel harness a few years ago but since stopped.. (for us northerners) but I like the cooled seats add on thing.

Last edited: