2004 Yukon Daylight Running Lamps (DRL)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The DRL's on my Yukon no longer function. I changed the bulbs and checked the fuse, still nothing.

The bulb sockets look pretty dark and somewhat burnt, read online that one needs to add new sockets at times in order to make the DRL work again.

- Is this what you guys would recommend as well?
- If yes, what is a good source to purchase these bulb sockets?

As always, many thanks for the help. HAPPY 4th!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NAPA carries Echlin brand, which are generally good. $26 each.

They are doing their bucket sale this weekend for 20% off 3 items.

You could replace for less than $45.
Buy a 10 cent washer for the third item...

I did not replace sockets on my 04 Z71, but I did need bulbs. Rather than the high current from standard bulbs, I replaced with LED. Even though the package says "off-road use only", I don't think I'll have an issue with RMV inspection. How can DRL lights be too bright, right?
I have a set of standard bulbs, just in case, but I think I will be passed without any problems. I figured the LED draws so little power, it would be better than continuing to toast the DRL sockets.

OP
OP
JochenWoern

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So asking the question again, the socket going bad is a common occurrence and replacing it is the way to go?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So asking the question again, the socket going bad is a common occurrence and replacing it is the way to go?

You tested the voltage at the sockets with the key on engine off (KOEO) and the shifter in Drive? (Wheels chocked.)

If you have voltage at the (clean) sockets under those conditions, you may be able to slightly bend the wire contact on the bulbs for a better connection. And, yes, the sockets are a common failure point.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI - the LED replacements are only 2 watts. Standard 3157 bulbs are almost 27 watts!

OP
OP
JochenWoern

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought new GM sockets as well as LED Bulbs and installed one side today. STILL NOTHING!

Fuse is good, what's next to check? The FUSE RELAY under the Hood?

Thanks for the help guys.

DirtDigler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some LED's are polarity sensitive just so you know, once you get power restored.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu