2004 6.0 NV4500 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be nothing in that circuit to filter out. The tube on the passenger side valve cover is a fresh air intake that draws it from the engine air intake tube. The circuit that has oily air in it is the port on the rear of the driver's side valve cover. There's a hose that runs from there to the top middle of the intake manifold. This air flows opposite of the one on the passenger side- the air flows OUT of the engine and into the intake manifold. You want to run a hose from the port on the valve cover to the inlet of the catch can, then from the outlet of the catch can to the port on the intake manifold. BE CAREFUL with the fitting on the intake manifold! It's plastic and will break very easily if you bend or twist it too much. I use a razor knife to slice the plastic hose on it lengthwise and peel it off. Then brace the fitting with my hand while I push on the rubber hose onto it, using a little lube to help it slide.

That's interesting I didn't know there was a fresh air intake for the valve covers. Seems to me it ends up being a second source of oil in the intake as the hose was full of oil when I removed it. I was planning to connect both sides to the can and eliminating the port on the top of the intake and having them both run back to the intake tube.

If one side is for fresh air then why do most people vent both valve covers to a single can then back to the intake? My Silverado has dual -10an to a single can then -10 back to the intake but also has the ability to vent to the atmosphere under heavy boost.

I will be extra gentle with that fitting I love old crumbly plastics.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
819A04D8-D3EE-40DF-AB3E-46D4799D0358.jpeg
That's interesting I didn't know there was a fresh air intake for the valve covers. Seems to me it ends up being a second source of oil in the intake as the hose was full of oil when I removed it. I was planning to connect both sides to the can and eliminating the port on the top of the intake and having them both run back to the intake tube.

If one side is for fresh air then why do most people vent both valve covers to a single can then back to the intake? My Silverado has dual -10an to a single can then -10 back to the intake but also has the ability to vent to the atmosphere under heavy boost.

That’s known as the “clean side” of the pcv system and some people run a clean side separator if you run WOT a lot or you find oil on that side. Also especially good for boosted applications. But you need a catchcan with dual inlets if you go this route. Info here:

Elite Engineering, the leader in Oil PCV Catch Can solutions announces the latest addition to their proven line of oil separating Catch Cans with the "Elite Clean Side solution".

The Clean-side solution addresses that small amount of oil vapor that enters the intake air charge upstream of the throttle body during WOT operation when the intake manifold vacuum is not present.

The Clean-side solution allows 100% MAF metered air entry while trapping the oil during wide open throttle operation and allowing it to return back into the valve cover as soon as the throttle is lifted.

Simply installs as a direct replacement for your stock Oil Fill Cap allowing you to delete and replace the stock OEM hose.

At 1/2 the cost of the plastic hollow GM unit, our aluminum clean-side separator incorporates an internal coalescing material. Simply unscrew the top for a quick inspection or cleaning.

Available in the most popular color Black, other GM colors are coming soon!

This is a direct replacement for your stock Oil Fill Cap. Comes with vacuum caps and fittings if needed to connect to your intake air inlet tube.

Models for both the V8 AND V6 GM engines.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i dont think youll get enough vacuum going to the intake tube.

what vents to the atmosphere on your setup now, the catch can?

both valvecovers go to the can, can goes to intake and has a breather?

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how I've never come across a "Clean air separator". So the clean air side has a check valve that is supposed to only let air into the valve cover correct? Is that check valve in the valve cover itself or is it a device attached to the intake tube or the hose between the two? Out of all the GM trucks I've had none have come with stock air filters or tubes so maybe I've never noticed one.

Randy- Yes the can has both valve covers vented to it and a single line routed back to the intake as well as an air filter on top to allow atmosphere venting. It is the Mighty Mouse Draft can and supposed to help with the smell of the PCV through the filter on the catch can during normal driving. The theory is that the vacuum during normal driving is enough to pull the small amount of vapors being vented and stopping it from smelling bad. During WOT when a lot of crankcase pressure is being vented it allows whatever the engine cannot consume to vent to out the filter. My previous setup was both covers vented to a can that vented to the atmosphere and I could smell the vapors all the time.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how I've never come across a "Clean air separator". So the clean air side has a check valve that is supposed to only let air into the valve cover correct? Is that check valve in the valve cover itself or is it a device attached to the intake tube or the hose between the two? Out of all the GM trucks I've had none have come with stock air filters or tubes so maybe I've never noticed one.

Randy- Yes the can has both valve covers vented to it and a single line routed back to the intake as well as an air filter on top to allow atmosphere venting. It is the Mighty Mouse Draft can and supposed to help with the smell of the PCV through the filter on the catch can during normal driving. The theory is that the vacuum during normal driving is enough to pull the small amount of vapors being vented and stopping it from smelling bad. During WOT when a lot of crankcase pressure is being vented it allows whatever the engine cannot consume to vent to out the filter. My previous setup was both covers vented to a can that vented to the atmosphere and I could smell the vapors all the time.
So I misspoke earlier- the CSS replaces the hose that goes between the ps valve cover to Tb. The CSS itself is a check valve I believe, which releases as soon as throttle is lifted, and the small amount of oil that’s in it gets released into the valve cover so it never has to be drained. I don’t even know if it’s doing anything since there’s nothing to drain. :eek:

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I misspoke earlier- the CSS replaces the hose that goes between the ps valve cover to Tb. The CSS itself is a check valve I believe, which releases as soon as throttle is lifted, and the small amount of oil that’s in it gets released into the valve cover so it never has to be drained. I don’t even know if it’s doing anything since there’s nothing to drain. :eek:

Huh somehow I've never seen one I guess I'll have to look at the junkyard next time. The previous owner had the passenger valve cover connected directly to the intake tube so I did the same just because it was easy and I didn't feel like doing a catch can at the time. Main reason I got a catch can was to stop oil getting in the intake tube and the TB and since that was the only connection in front of the TB that could allow oil to enter I figured I'd start with putting the can there and later route the driver side to it aswell.

I do have a fairly significant oil consumption issue probably about a quart every 1,500 miles and the truck do not leak a drop so I thought maybe this would help that.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i got ya, that is the same catchcans i went with. I have their gen 5 pcv can on the driverside. valvecover>can>back of intake and the filter has a "float" in it under vac is pulls from the valvecover. underboost is pushes the float up releasing out the filter (checkball in the line to the intake)

i however added an open catch can to the passenger side, acts like the fresh air side to the crank under vac. under boost it will vent to atmosphere.

ive had very little so far in the passenger side can, driverside pulls a ton of oil/crap out. i turned my valvecovers around to put the bungs toward the front of the engine to hopefully cut some oil its trapping

the checkball is in the fitting that threads into the catchcan, may want to pull it apart and make sure it isnt gummed up in there

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i got ya, that is the same catchcans i went with. I have their gen 5 pcv can on the driverside. valvecover>can>back of intake and the filter has a "float" in it under vac is pulls from the valvecover. underboost is pushes the float up releasing out the filter (checkball in the line to the intake)

i however added an open catch can to the passenger side, acts like the fresh air side to the crank under vac. under boost it will vent to atmosphere.

ive had very little so far in the passenger side can, driverside pulls a ton of oil/crap out. i turned my valvecovers around to put the bungs toward the front of the engine to hopefully cut some oil its trapping

the checkball is in the fitting that threads into the catchcan, may want to pull it apart and make sure it isnt gummed up in there

Glad we are on the same page, there is so much conflicting info about catch cans and crankcase venting its hard to figure out what's right, wrong or some troll hahaha. There was a good debate thread on pt.net about them a few weeks ago.

So you are still using the factory tubes on the valve covers you just spun the driver side around? I was going to do that but I wanted to convert to all AN fittings and had -10 fittings welded into the covers and the factory tube removed/welded over. Kind of a pain to be honest I have to connect the fitting to the valve cover before I tighten down the fuel rail.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nah, ive got aftermarket valvecovers with baffled -10 on them

what truck are you talking about? i missed how this all got started.

with both valvecovers going to the can and then to the intake its sealed at that point. whatever vac the intake hose is seeing is sucking on the crankcase all the time. whether the fresh air side is necessary or not i really dont know but i just wanted to have a 10an off each to its own can.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts