2003 Chevy Tahoe- Transmission Fluid Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lyncht1967

Reaction score
I bought one of these pumps:

https://www.amazon.com/Wekster-Mult...=1678557442&sprefix=auto+fluid+,aps,96&sr=8-8

Went to home depot ad got about 6' of tubing (either 1/4" or 3/8" cant' remember) inserted it into a short piece of the red hose I cut and ducktaped. red hose on pump, tubing down the fill pipe. Sucked out all it will do (about 4 quarts) refilled. Drove around ten minutes. Did this 3 times. Figured I got to about 85% new fluid. Trans loved it..so smooth.

I know dropping pan and changing filter would be optimal but I have always had no trouble with trans and kinda regular changes so don't expect filter to be bad off.

Took and hour and didn't even get dirty. I was amazed how efficient it was. Will always do trans this way...

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Wekster-Multi-Purpose-Transfer-Dipstick-Extractor/dp/B076TMQGMN/ref=sr_1_8?crid=ZDXB9M70AX1M&keywords=auto+fluid+extractor+pump&qid=1678557442&sprefix=auto+fluid+,aps,96&sr=8-8

Went to home depot ad got about 6' of tubing (either 1/4" or 3/8" cant' remember) inserted it into a short piece of the red hose I cut and ducktaped. red hose on pump, tubing down the fill pipe. Sucked out all it will do (about 4 quarts) refilled. Drove around ten minutes. Did this 3 times. Figured I got to about 85% new fluid. Trans loved it..so smooth.

I know dropping pan and changing filter would be optimal but I have always had no trouble with trans and kinda regular changes so don't expect filter to be bad off.

Took and hour and didn't even get dirty. I was amazed how efficient it was. Will always do trans this way...

If it works, why not!? With mine, (provided you are not going to change the filter) it is as simple as a bolt in the bottom of the pan. Easy to get to . Unbolt, drain put bolt back in and refill. Do you not have a bolt on the bottom of your transmission pan? Is this why you thought of this?

dougo

Reaction score
I bought one of these pumps:

https://www.amazon.com/Wekster-Multi-Purpose-Transfer-Dipstick-Extractor/dp/B076TMQGMN/ref=sr_1_8?crid=ZDXB9M70AX1M&keywords=auto+fluid+extractor+pump&qid=1678557442&sprefix=auto+fluid+,aps,96&sr=8-8

I have a vacuum pump works great suck it out pour it in easy

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too late now, but If you pulled the pan and changed the filter you'd be able to see how dirty/clogged up it was. I was able to get my deep pan off my '04 Yukon without loosening the D Side exhaust. Just the P Side. Pry bar to press the pipe over is all it took. And removal of the linkage to avoid damaging it. You'd really be surprised at what the filter catches. It's a good indicator of what's going on inside. Maybe next time...

Reaction score
Too late now, but If you pulled the pan and changed the filter you'd be able to see how dirty/clogged up it was. I was able to get my deep pan off my '04 Yukon without loosening the D Side exhaust. Just the P Side. Pry bar to press the pipe over is all it took. And removal of the linkage to avoid damaging it. You'd really be surprised at what the filter catches. It's a good indicator of what's going on inside. Maybe next time...
My 08, the downpipe nuts are pretty hard to get at with the cats in the way, i just took the hangers off the exhaust and let it drop down a bit and a pry bar and gave lots of room to get the pan off cleanly.

easymoney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You must just have bad luck or you overheated the camaro's tranny therefore overheated the shift solenoids. In all the 4L60E's that I've owned and still own, I have never had a shift solenoid fail. Do you replace your ignition coils because they have 150k miles on them? A shift solenoid will last alot longer than a belt or hose will.
I have had 2 tahoes , a 99 and currently have a 2004. Both had solenoid issues. Never over heated that i know of but there is no guage who knows. I rarely tow anything, i changes the fluid and it atill happens. My dad has a 02 silverado and the sunshell broke on it at around 100k but no solenoid issues Its common for this to happen. I replaced the transmission on my 99 at about 150k. The 2004 got 105k on the first then at 200k the rebuilt one crapped out. I had them put in the gm remanufactured one so hopefully it lasts more than a 100k since its supposed to have fixed the factory defects that gm refused to update. I still like my tahoe even though it has had many issues.

lyncht1967

Reaction score
I did, but it's aluminum and someone had already rounded it..even got nut extractor set and it was just welded in there..all extractor did was chew it up more

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@rockola1971, since I have the step pan I never wondered till now. What is the reason for the two pans and two filters? If have the shallow pan, can the deep pan and deep filter be changed over and if so, what would be the benefit, if any?

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@rockola1971, since I have the step pan I never wondered till now. What is the reason for the two pans and two filters? If have the shallow pan, can the deep pan and deep filter be changed over and if so, what would be the benefit, if any?
That's just speculation, but if the later models have the pan with the step, they probably changed that because when there are large inclines, acceleration or braking, the oil is more secure in the pan and can be sucked in by the pump. With the flat oil pan, it can of course happen that the oil pump draws air in such situations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts