2001 Yukon XL SLT 5.3** I installed an aftermarket sub, amp and head unit. Issues with audio no

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mooseman93

Reaction score
After installing, I’ve had issues with speakers cutting out. The sub still pushes bass notes but nothing from the speakers. If I keep the volume down it works fine. I am wondering if it’s an issue with the factory amp that the speakers are wired through. The way it acts is almost like if I try to pull to much power it shuts down the factory amp and that’s why the speakers cut off. In order to get them to work I need to put the vehicle in park, completely turn it off and open the door (so the head unit turns completely off) and let it sit for 10 seconds or so. When I turn it back on the speakers work again. I’m also running stock alternator.
Let me apologize in advance for the fuzziness of this answer, my hope is that maybe it will point you in the right direction in your search. I have a 2001 Yukon XL 5.3. I've had it for most of but not all of its life. Not too long after I got it, I replaced the factory stereo with an aftermarket HU, no extra amps or speakers, just a basic swap. Now it's been 15 or so years since that happened but I remember there was something really unusual I had to do that was centered around the factory amp. It didn't work somehow with the normal wiring harness, there was a wire to that you had to connect in some other way. Again, fuzzy memory and not a real answer but my point is, I think you're on the right track suspecting the issue originates with the factory amp and how it integrates with the aftermarket parts.

Mooseman93

Reaction score
After installing, I’ve had issues with speakers cutting out. The sub still pushes bass notes but nothing from the speakers. If I keep the volume down it works fine. I am wondering if it’s an issue with the factory amp that the speakers are wired through. The way it acts is almost like if I try to pull to much power it shuts down the factory amp and that’s why the speakers cut off. In order to get them to work I need to put the vehicle in park, completely turn it off and open the door (so the head unit turns completely off) and let it sit for 10 seconds or so. When I turn it back on the speakers work again. I’m also running stock alternator.

Expanding on my earlier "fuzzy" post, there is a pink wire in the original harness that powers the factory amp. This seems to get excluded from the aftermarket wiring harnesses, it needs to get 12v. That's what I was referring to. One suggestion was to run the remote turn on from the new stereo to this wire. Regardless, the pink wire to the factory amp needs power unless you're bypassing the amp completely.

OP
OP
C

Curtis12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Let me apologize in advance for the fuzziness of this answer, my hope is that maybe it will point you in the right direction in your search. I have a 2001 Yukon XL 5.3. I've had it for most of but not all of its life. Not too long after I got it, I replaced the factory stereo with an aftermarket HU, no extra amps or speakers, just a basic swap. Now it's been 15 or so years since that happened but I remember there was something really unusual I had to do that was centered around the factory amp. It didn't work somehow with the normal wiring harness, there was a wire to that you had to connect in some other way. Again, fuzzy memory and not a real answer but my point is, I think you're on the right track suspecting the issue originates with the factory amp and how it integrates with the aftermarket parts.
Hey I just went and attached the pink wire to power and this seems to have fixed it. Thank you!

Holt50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get an high out put alternate do the big three wiring. I ran all new wires for my door speakers straight to the amp so there is no problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts