2001 Tahoe 2wd steering wander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didn’t mention the lower ball joints, just upper control arms so we know the uppers are new.

OP
OP
B

Battledrift69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You didn’t mention the lower ball joints, just upper control arms so we know the uppers are new.
When I replaced everything I checked for play or wear in both lowers. The previous owner said she got them done at 175k miles because they were bad. It now has 228k and they still look good and have no signs of being faulty yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve searched all forums for an answer that would solve my wandering issue.

I have a 2001 Tahoe Lt 2wd that seems to steer on its own left to right which I saw is what’s called wandering or walking.

After searching for what seems like months, I’ve replaced damn near the entire suspension front and back.

new in the front;
Tie rod end, inner and outer
Pitman arm
Idler arm and bracket
Tires
Upper control arms
Intermediate steering shaft
Column bearing
Steering gear box
Sway bar end links
Shocks

wheel bearings have no play nor make any noise or signs of being faulty.

rear has new;
Sway bar end links
Pan hard bar
Springs
Shocks (Monroe self adjusting shocks, I’ve replaced with stock to see if that’s the issue and it wasn’t)
Upper and lower trailing arms

I’ve had 4 alignments done at different shops and they all come back good. They can’t find a single thing wrong.

I had noticed that the rear passenger sticks out a little bit farther than the driver rear. It’s not horrible but is noticeable if you’re looking for it.

I’m at a loss and have no idea where else to check.

no collisions, no rear end damage what so ever.
Mine does the same thing. But I have 24s. What size wheels u got? Also I installed a kyb stabilizer and it helped a lot. Also my entire front end is new. Except gear box.

OP
OP
B

Battledrift69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. But I have 24s. What size wheels u got? Also I installed a kyb stabilizer and it helped a lot. Also my entire front end is new. Except gear box.
I have stock ‘14 Silverado stocks with 265 70/17. It did the same thing with my Tahoe stocks though. I’ve been looking into a stabilizer but I’ve read that it only masks the issue and makes it worse. Could be wrong

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have stock ‘14 Silverado stocks with 265 70/17. It did the same thing with my Tahoe stocks though. I’ve been looking into a stabilizer but I’ve read that it only masks the issue and makes it worse. Could be wrong

I like it so far. The only thing I worry bout is it putting stress on gear box

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the bottom of the steering wheel shaft is a sensor that goes bad, makes the vehicle have its own mind which way to go.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A few things come to mind. I have heard that if the center link is not installed in the correct orientation that can cause weird steering issues.

Also, since you have ZW7 (Premium Smooth Ride) and G65 (Manually self-adjusting rear shocks), the rear springs are weaker than a stock or Z71 spring, and the rear Nivomat shocks are self adjusting (not electronic). So if the shocks were changed to standard type, the springs should also have been changed to firmer ones. What rear shocks are on it now?

Also, the bump stops must contact the lower control arms to work properly; that's a fulcrum point in the front suspension and stabilizes things. I don't know if that would affect the steering stability but I would think that it could.

OP
OP
B

Battledrift69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In the bottom of the steering wheel shaft is a sensor that goes bad, makes the vehicle have its own mind which way to go.
I’ve checked several times for this sensor and I don’t have it on the column anywhere. I’ve searched and searched for another place it may be and haven’t found one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65