1999 Tahoe/Lifter or Exhaust Manifold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newtahoeguy87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys my recently purchased 99 5.7 Vortec Tahoe has developed a tick on cold starts. I’m hoping someone knows a way I can find out if this is a lifter issue or maybe a exhaust manifold leak. (Or ruling one or both out)

The ticking begins at cold start of engine and stops shortly after running. The duration of ticking seems to directly correlate to how long the truck has been sitting. When sitting for a hour or so the ticking only last 20-30 seconds from start and then goes away. When sitting overnight the ticking lasts 2-3ish minutes.

After fresh oil change the ticking was still the same.

Are there any tests that can be run at home to pinpoint or rule out a lifter vs exhaust manifold leak?

Any help greatly appreciate!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you have a manifold leak you may be able to feel the leak with your hand. It is also recommended that you get a mechanic's stethoscope to help pinpoint the source of noise.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like a lifter issue to me. Get a long extension or screwdriver and stick one end in your ear and move the other around the engine bay until you pinpoint the noise.

When one of my exhaust manifold gaskets started leaking, it sounded like the motor was going to come apart and did not go away as some do.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your manifold bolts and see if one has broken or is loose.

What is your oil pressure like at start-up? Does it come straight up and level off right away or does it build?

Might put a can of Seafoam in your oil, run it for 50 miles or so and change the oil and filter out with fresh synthetic and see what happens.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a manifold leak you may be able to feel the leak with your hand. It is also recommended that you get a mechanic's stethoscope to help pinpoint the source of noise.
I’d agree with the stethoscope approach, it’ll be noticeable when you put it on an exhaust leak.

Donf

Reaction score
Just playing the odds most old engines develop lifter noise eventually, especially if they haven't had frequent oil changes. Long term use of synthetic seems to reduce the occurrence as well. Manifold issues are relatively rare.
I like to run a bottle of MMO through my engines once a year , seems to work for me. Seafoam - IMO- is a bit more drastic and I haven't used it on my 99 because it's oil tight now and I would like to keep it that way.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A switch to diesel engine oil is also a plus for cleanup in an old engine. 15-40 a good choice for these trucks. If it is an oil burner be aware of cat poisoning. But one oil change interval with 2 filters worthwhile. Almost as good as 1/2 qt of ATF in oil.
When were valves adjusted last? Every 50K miles?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A switch to diesel engine oil is also a plus for cleanup in an old engine. 15-40 a good choice for these trucks. If it is an oil burner be aware of cat poisoning. But one oil change interval with 2 filters worthwhile. Almost as good as 1/2 qt of ATF in oil.
When were valves adjusted last? Every 50K miles?

+1 for diesel engine oil. I run T6 in a 50/50 mix of 15W-40 and 5W-40 for a 10W-40 average. That oil doesn't break down hardly at all in my 5K OCIs.

LS engine doesn't have adjustable valves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia