1999 Tahoe -- $2,500 to rebuild transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HughSeagraves

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Lost reverse on my 1999 Tahoe on Friday. AAMCO is quoting me $2,500 (with a 3-year warranty) to, I guess, rebuild it. I don't have $2,500 laying around. I'm sure they would like to do more work rather than less but I'm really only interested in them getting it working again.

Is it possible for them to do some kind of bare minimum of work to get the transmission fixed or is this something where all the work has to be done together or not at all?

Thanks.

xanatost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rebuild it your self. I did mine and it really wasn't that hard to do. Only took a day to pull it, rebuild it and put back in mine. I spent about 800 on better parts and upgrades. There is a good dvd walk throw that you can get too.

http://www.4l60-e.com/

That is where I got everything for mine and they even answered all my dumb questions with out being ass's :)

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I paid 1200 from the best around here. Had a pretty good warranty aswell and since its the best round here its quality work and quality parts

MABX13

Reaction score
find an independent shop that has warranty because that is way too much for a rebuild .

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats way overpriced. I paid $2000 to get both my transmission and my rear end rebuilt. I was quoted $1200-$1400 by a few other shops. I'm sure you can find a shop to do it in the $1500 range.
If you still need to go cheaper than that, pull it yourself and have it rebuilt, or buy a used transmission

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
cheapest option is a junkyard replacement for $150.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I payed $400 for mine at the my and bit the dust right after my engine rebuild its all bout the luck

OP
OP
H

HughSeagraves

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rebuild it your self. I did mine and it really wasn't that hard to do. Only took a day to pull it, rebuild it and put back in mine. I spent about 800 on better parts and upgrades. There is a good dvd walk throw that you can get too.

http://www.4l60-e.com/

That is where I got everything for mine and they even answered all my dumb questions with out being ass's :)

Thanks for the advice but this is not an option. I love my truck but I don't have the time, place, or experience to work on it. In fact, not having a place to work on my truck is making me lean towards getting something newer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pamelapanian