1.5 level vs 2.5/1 level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I want to verify where one measures to determine if the truck is level. I believe that an earlier comment in this thread said that the measurement is taken from the ground to the underside of outside fender over the tire, and the measurement is taken vertically, with the measurement line passing through the center of the wheel hub.

Is this correct?

I am starting to think about larger tires and any associated lift/leveling to accomplish this on my 2007 Yukon XL Denali, and I want to make sure that I start to learn to proper terms and measurement starting points.

Thanks in advance.

Lets make this more complicated!

You can level it by actual measurement or by sight. Some say that when leveled by measurement, the rear looks like it's sagging because of the body and/or rear window lines. It's up to you and your particular strain of OCD that determines what you would call "level".

If by measurement, the most accurate way is to measure from a point on the body (commonly the underside of the fender lip) to a FIXED point (commonly the center of the hub. This removes the OD of the wheel/tire combo and the tire itself from the equation. With any measuring, you have to be on a level and hard surface.

If by sight, measure where yours sits now then jack up the front by the frame a little at a time while you step back and determine just where you want it. Once you're satisfied, measure again and that difference will tell you how much lift your particular truck will need to suit your particular idea of "level".

There are some professional people and/or companies that still use the fender-to-ground measurements in reference to how much lift or drop. This is not a professional method but I guess they still use it since that's the only method many customers know. This is how you end up with people having different lift or lowering results when using the exact same products.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks IA.

I was wondering if the front and rear wheel wells were actually equal by design, so that measuring by them alone would result in a 'level' truck. I tend to agree that 'level' could be somewhat subjective, depending on how one perceives level, just by looking at the entire truck and its window and roof lines. I will take your suggestion and jack up the front of the truck and make an observation regarding what 'looks' level overall for the truck, compare it to the actual measurements at the wheel well fender lips, and factor this in, as I move forward with my planning. The truck actually looks level by eye right now, but this may be related to having new front and rear suspension components, as the previous owner changed them all out prior to selling it, including replacing the rear air suspension system with a coil spring suspension.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can level it by actual measurement or by sight. Some say that when leveled by measurement, the rear looks like it's sagging because of the body and/or rear window lines. It's up to you and your particular strain of OCD that determines what you would call "level".

Yup. And this is why I’m going with 1.5” rather then 2” lift at front, as my strong visual OCD would perceive the ass end as sagging. Can’t have that for even an instant.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. And this is why I’m going with 1.5” rather then 2” lift at front, as my strong visual OCD would perceive the ass end as sagging. Can’t have that for even an instant.
Don’t be surprised when you get them. Measurment of the block will screw with your ocd....;)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No sir! After that would come stretched low-profile mud tires, snot green Monster stickers, flat-billed hats, sleeveless shirts, white Oakleys and Drake blasting with the windows down at every red light.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
No sir! After that would come stretched low-profile mud tires, snot green Monster stickers, flat-billed hats, sleeveless shirts, white Oakleys and Drake blasting with the windows down at every red light.

Slippery slope fer sure, bruh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT