2.5 Front 1.5 Rear Suspension Maxx Tire help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmlea0

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Need some help guys and feel free to please post pictures of different options!

I have read a lot of the threads here but still undecided.

current setup:
2.5 front 1.5 rear suspension maxx
285/45/22 Gm wheels and tires

Here are my two options:...

Option 1: stock 22s on 305/45/22 nitro ridge grappler

Option 2: 20x9 hostile wheels on 285/60/20 ridge grappler

Thanks for the advice and help guys

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Answer this...

What do you WISH for in tire size ?

I have a 22" wheel and looking at 285/55/22...nearly a 34" tire. And it is doable with 2.5 / 1.5

The 305 for me is to wide...my 285 already pulls every run and crown.

I would prefer a 20" as ride will be much smoother with the side wall height, but I have a 22...

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jmlea0

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree that the 20 may produce a smoother ride quality but I also love the look of the 22. I’ll look into the 285/55/22. Do you think there is ever a chance that 33/12.5/22 will fit no rubbing? I read mixed reviews...

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a pic that I posted, it is the front leg of the upper control arm at the height if a 2.5" level...less than 1/2" of clearance to tire.

The 285 is an 11.25" wide tire. Most mention a slight rub, usually at the fender liner that is easily fixed...but if the tire is aggressive in side wall lug, I would expect it to rub the arm also.

20210131_164421.jpg

OP
OP
J

jmlea0

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m a little confused my bad. Are you saying you had rubbing with a 33/12.5/22 or the 285/55/22? What is your current setup? Any pictures of your suspension maxx setup? Thanks man

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding wheel/tire combinations that will fit your truck without rubbing, no 2 trucks and their suspensions are exactly alike, due to a number of factors including accumulated wear on the suspension components, so there is no guarantee that what fits with no rubbing on one truck will automatically fit with no rubbing on your truck. Other folks' experiences can guide you in one direction or another, but the final test will be when you mount the wheel/tire combination on your own truck.

To assist you in getting a good idea on whether or not specific alternate wheel/tire combinations 'may' fit your truck with no rubbing, I recommend that you use the wheel/tire comparison app at the URL listed below. You can use this app starting with your existing wheel/tire combination as a benchmark, assuming that there are currently no rubbing issues with it, and measure the actual critical fender and suspension component clearances as directed by this app. Then, you can enter alternate wheel/tire combinations, and this app will give you the projected changes in these critical fender and suspension component clearances.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

I used this app for determining whether on not I could use my current alternate wheel/tire combination, and it accurately projected the changes in critical clearances. Again, the use of this app in not an absolute guarantee that an alternate wheel/tire combination will fit without rubbing, but it provides a much better assessment, or projection, than simply an educated guess on your part, or a statement from others that it worked on a truck other than yours.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m a little confused my bad. Are you saying you had rubbing with a 33/12.5/22 or the 285/55/22? What is your current setup? Any pictures of your suspension maxx setup? Thanks man

i am saying i think the 12.5 wide would rub, the 285 does not.

mine is currently at stock height, still laying out exactly what i want and gathering parts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jmlea0

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I just bit the bullet. Dropping down to a 20x9 wheel. Going 285/60/20

Powder Toast Man

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wheel offset is also a big factor. Any (-) offsets will increase the swing radius from the spindle. This will definitely effect what size of tire you can fit. For example I have -24 20x10 with 275/55 with 2" level and it definitely is the max size that will fit without trimming.

tenminutes

Reaction score
Answer this...

What do you WISH for in tire size ?

I have a 22" wheel and looking at 285/55/22...nearly a 34" tire. And it is doable with 2.5 / 1.5

The 305 for me is to wide...my 285 already pulls every run and crown.

I would prefer a 20" as ride will be much smoother with the side wall height, but I have a 22...
I have a question about your post. What you are saying about the 2.5/1.5 with a 285/55/22 is my ideal setup. It's what I had on my sierra and the tire size is perfect. But the shop I rely on to install lifts wouldn't do it. They told me there was no way the tire would fit. I'm not shy about running or trimming and i told them that, but they told me a 305/45r22 was the biggest I could run with the stock 22's. Since I am not willing to change my Denali 22's (because I love them) I've felt pretty disappointed. Are you currently running this setup on yours?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbr1287