06 tahoe small leak detected code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mudsport96

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably what I'll end up doing. I think the cap may have been changed already, it's not yellow like a Flex vehicle should have. And if it's a cheap store brand one that may be the place to start anyway.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The P0442 and P0456 codes are for a "Small"Leak in the EVAP system, the other common code s the P0455 which is a "Large" leak code. As mentioned you can check the usual components but I would drive it for awhile and see if it comes back on.The small leak code needs to have (2) fails in order to set the dash light. Make sure that there is not any rust on the filler pipe sealing surface for the cap, that is a common cause of most evap codes,

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would make sense that a leak code for the vapor system would be a device that can allow pressure to be relieved in the system. The three devices that can do that are the two solenoids and the gas cap. Usually when the canister fails, the tubing either plugs up with loose charcoal bits or a solenoid valve hangs open due to the particles building up inside the valve, preventing it from opening or closing completely.

Changing solenoids without doing the canister can sometimes result in not fixing the problem, since it is the loose charcoal from the canister that are messing with the solenoid operated vent or purge valve. That said, gas cap sealing problems are not uncommon. A rag with some Techron or other cleaner wiped around the inside of the gas filler can be a good starting point.

When changing the solenoids it is a good idea to blow out the tubing with low pressure air before connecting up the new solenoids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts