05nali's HOW TO Ipod/AUX hookup for 03+ XM equipped trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillBlatt18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I did this install and a couple requested that i do a write up, so here is the write up i followed here:

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230249&highlight=how+to+ipod+hook-up

The info from original thread is quoted

For starters, you need to decide which jack to use. Some people use the jack from radioshack; however, I only have a soldering iron so I opted to go with a jack that could take the extra heat from my iron while soldering the wires to it. I used the jack pictured below. It is sold HERE on Amazon.

Looks like this:
21-WDJOugZL._SX300_.jpg

It can also be found HERE on ebay for half the price.

I ordered one of those so i can mount it in my dash, but for now I bought THIS one at radioshack. Works peferct, just isnt long enough to fit through a hole in the dash. And it CAN take the heat of a soldering iron. I soldered my connections.

pRS1C-2265992w345.jpg

NOTE: If you get a different jack, make sure it is STEREO not MONO

You will also need a 3.5mm male to male cable to go from your phone to your jack. I bought THIS cable at my local radioshack along with the jack. Before anyone asks, the blue cable is the shit. Gives it that nice "custom" look. :rocking:

pRS1-6735224w345.jpg

Okay, the next thing you will need is three equal-length pieces of wire. I started with each strand being about 3' long so I could mount the jack in the truck wherever I wanted. I had an old LS-x harness laying around so I color-coordinated the wires that I soldered to the audiojack to match the wires that I was tapping into on the XM receiver...I know, OCD.

The XM receiver is a small metal looking box that is behind your glove box. If you take all of the stuff out of your glove box, on the right side there will be a small tab that keeps the box from folding down any further.

I took off the lower part of the dash to make this more accessible. The tab is blue. Just pry it up with a screw driver. Then behind that is a smaller black tab that if you push in, the harness will pop out. Locate the green/white, brown/white, and black/white wires. The black is your ground and will connect to the longest post on the jack, or if you used the one I bought, the top post on the side. Also, there are two black/white wires. The one you want to splice into is the one farthest down on the right corner. Here is a bad pic i borrowed from GMFS since i forgot to take pics. :facepalm:

24mzwd1.jpg

Your 3.5mm jack will have three posts on it. The common audio post is the longest of the three posts. It is silver in color. The other two posts are left and right channels.

Assuming that you have made good connections with each of your wires, all you need to do now is tune to XM. Once you have XM on, you'll need to tune to channel 0 (Radio ID).

Radio.gif

This channel has no audio so it is perfect for this. The last thing that you will need is a cable to plug from the jack into your iPod/phone/etc. I bought a 3' cable from Radioshack. It is slightly long but it gives you plenty of room to control the phone while its plugged in.

This mod works perfect, sounds great, and best of all, IS CHEAP! I use it with my DROID and my Ipod. Looks good too, and factory if you don't use a blue cable hahaha. I did the write up after the fact, so anyone who does this let me know if I left any details out. I will update the thread with some more pics when I get back to my truck this week.

Edit: Make sure you unplug your device while listening to xm otherwise normal XM will have decreased volume or will not work. Once you unplug your device from the cable XM will function normal again.

UPDATE: I got the amazon jack today and soldered it in and mounted it in the dash. Pics below:

IMG_20120417_203806.jpg

IMG_20120417_203802.jpg

IMG_20120417_203757.jpg

Sorry for the ****** cell phone pics. Gives you an idea on where to mount. Once again this is the jack I used:

21-WDJOugZL._SX300_.jpg

Last edited:

03tahoe2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i know i "had" it.....but the band button only takes me to FM1, FM2, and AM

OP
OP
BillBlatt18

BillBlatt18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you crawl under the dash and look up behind the glove box, do you see a silver box with a black wiring harness and a yellow plug below it?

03tahoe2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i see a big ass black box....thats it..

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

ok i see 2 empty slots for a harness....im guessing thats where the XM is spost to be...

OP
OP
BillBlatt18

BillBlatt18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh. Well if you dont have the box, you dont have it, you dont have XM. You have an 03 right? go to this site: http://decodethis.com/ and look up your VIN to see if you had the option of XM

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

Ok just saw your other post. So your saying the harnesses are missing?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts