05nali's HOW TO Ipod/AUX hookup for 03+ XM equipped trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiMileage

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the great write-up. Saturday's mail brought me flush mount 3.5 mm jack from Vetco Electronics. Plan to do this sometime this week.

Nice blue cord.

Attachments

• mp3 outlet.jpg
    mp3 outlet.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 171
OP
OP
BillBlatt18

BillBlatt18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never seen that jack before. If you provide a link I will include it in the wrote up as an option. Please post your results. Good luck! I updated mine today. Got my plug from amazon and mounted it in the dash. Also, glad you like the blue cable lol. OP updated

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

scomo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did this mod last night. Just to be clear, the three wires you want to splice are the brown/white, green/white and extreme lower right black/white wire in the harness. There will be two black/white wires in the harness. As stated above, the black/white wire you want to splice is the lower right one. That black/white wire, once spliced, will travel via new wire to the ground post on your 3.5mm jack. This will be the longer of the three posts if you bought the amazon jack. The other green/white and brown/white wires will be your left and right channels, so once spliced, run them via new wire to the other two available posts on your 3.5mm jack. It really doesn't matter which posts since the system is set up in a stereo format.

Finally, the last think I'd like to add is you can get by with 18ga speaker wire, but I found myself stripping it down (removing most of the threads at the connection) to make room for the connection. In other words, I found that it was a little too big for me on this job. If I were to do it again, I'd go somewhere else other than Lowe's (they only carry down to 18ga) and find some 22ga stuff to work with. I think this will make life much easier you guys who attempt to try this.

sphillips

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anybody installed an i-pod jack in a 2000 (old body style) Tahoe Z71? I would like to add one for my wife.

redz71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
03+ XM equipped. Auxiliary port add-on mod

I would like to give 2 thumbs up to 05nali's post. There are several different versions people are doing with this mod on different sites around the net. His version is by far the easiest I have found. People say to pull the radio to get to the XM receiver wires. If your vehicle is equipped with the XM tuner, go in behind the glove box. You do not have to even remove the glove box. Locate your 3 XM wires and off you go. We used 3 t-splice connectors, wire, and an auxiliary port from the local Radio Shack. This entire mod only cost about 6 or 7 bucks. This was such an easy mod that anyone with a little bit of common sense can accomplish. Experienced or not. We mounted the port in the center console compartment between the cig lighter and power point. Plug in your aux cord to the port and then to your phone, ipod, mp3 player, etc.. I have included a picture of my finished aux port and a picture of the XM receiver wiring behind the glove box. If you have any questions just ask.

photo(39).jpg photo(40).jpg

redz71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, You are looking for 3 wires obviously. The ground wire is black with a white stripe. Your 2 audio wires are brown/white stripe and a green/white stripe. I was skeptical about this mod even working and it actually works great. Cheap and simple. Plus you do not have to change head units. Anymore questions let me know. Good luck

nicegy31

Reaction score
Would anyone know the wiring for the Xm maybe I can add it to my radio..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE