'05 Yukon XL - rain getting inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This could also be an "exterior" thread..... I discovered my ceiling pad is slightly damp with some spots of water on the passenger seat back- behind driver's seat....

Crap.....

I used gaffer's black tape to maybe isolate where the leak is coming from on the roof above the passenger door.

Anyone knows what the rubber trim/seal does?

I covered that rubber trim only...... to see if the leak might be from the roof rack mount

KIMG0143.JPG KIMG0142.JPG KIMG0146.JPG KIMG0144.JPG

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happened with the tape test? Pretty much any rubber seal is to keep something out. On the top it’s water. How often does this happen and under what conditions? Do you park on a slope? Have you sat inside while someone wets it with a hose? If it’s next to the door you may be able to remove some trim and pull the headliner back enough to see rust or wet areas then you can attack it. Roof racks have rubber under the screws and do deteriorate over time. See if any look cracked.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I 1st noticed it last week, while washing it. I thought maybe the window was not tightly closed.

The tape test is this morning, ( first time realizing the roof liner was a tad damp)...after a lot of over-night rain. It hasn't rained again much...... So too soon the see if the tape worked.

I'll have to dig deeper - before figuring out how to expose the interior stuff and water testing.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm searching for what this rubber seal is called 'officially'.

View attachment 232843
GM Part No.: 15761918
Molding,Roof Panel Joint Finish

Part Description MOLDING, Roof Drip

It's just a trim piece to cover the seam where the side panel is attached to the roof panel. I guess it's possible the seam is leaking. You might be able to pull it off without pulling the paint too if you use a heat gun but it's held on with high bond tape. Be careful. I've only seen them removed when replacing a body panel or painting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645