02 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikkey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Long time no see guys, I not too long ago got a 02 suburban 300K+ miles on her but she runs like a sewing machine...5.3 still pushing power, trans still shifting like new no problems except❗ she smokes a bit on start up, not huge clouds but consistently as long as she's in idle, no smoke when driving nor afterwards, no coolant loss, no milky oil cap, no milky oil on dipstick...what you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_20220410_175507189.jpg
    IMG_20220410_175507189.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 6

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
valve seals have worn out on ya. pretty common with high miles. oil seeps past the seals lands in the cylinders and she blows smoke on start up after sitting over night or an extended period.

to change them you need to take the rockers arms off, shoot compressed air into the cylinder then use a spring compressor to collapse the springs so you can remove the locks that hold the springs in place. then pull the old seal off the head around the valve stem and install a new one. you do one cylinder at a time or you'll drop a valve into the cylinder, you dont want that to happen. with them miles. id change the springs too, they are for sure used up. theres vids on you tube how to change them. its not all that bad really. only special tool you need is the spring compressor. and the hose to fit to a air line and into a spark plug hole. ive seen vids where ppl made a home made spring compressors that do the job just fine as well. likely do the free tool rental deal at the parts store too.

OP
OP
M

Mikkey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
valve seals have worn out on ya. pretty common with high miles. oil seeps past the seals lands in the cylinders and she blows smoke on start up after sitting over night or an extended period.

to change them you need to take the rockers arms off, shoot compressed air into the cylinder then use a spring compressor to collapse the springs so you can remove the locks that hold the springs in place. then pull the old seal off the head around the valve stem and install a new one. you do one cylinder at a time or you'll drop a valve into the cylinder, you dont want that to happen. with them miles. id change the springs too, they are for sure used up. theres vids on you tube how to change them. its not all that bad really. only special tool you need is the spring compressor. and the hose to fit to a air line and into a spark plug hole. ive seen vids where ppl made a home made spring compressors that do the job just fine as well. likely do the free tool rental deal at the parts store too.
Didn't think about those at all...will check in the am thanks

Cbncanada

Reaction score
Put a can of Sea Foam into the oil. Run for about 2500 km, change oil and add another can. Problem should clear up. Put in a new can after every oil change and you will be good.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long time no see guys, I not too long ago got a 02 suburban 300K+ miles on her but she runs like a sewing machine...5.3 still pushing power, trans still shifting like new no problems except❗ she smokes a bit on start up, not huge clouds but consistently as long as she's in idle, no smoke when driving nor afterwards, no coolant loss, no milky oil cap, no milky oil on dipstick...what you guys think?

Love it!!!

Timbers68

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What color smoke? If you have dual exhaust is the smoke out one side or both?
My '05 5.3 L33 would smoke intermittently on start up depending on which head gasket was going bad. As this got worse, I would notice coolant level going down, pinging/detonation, and also would begin to fowl spark plugs.
Yesterday I just finished replacing both heads (freshed up set of 243's, less down time), lifters, pushrods, HD rockers, and head gaskets. Seems to run like a top now.

OP
OP
M

Mikkey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What color smoke? If you have dual exhaust is the smoke out one side or both?
My '05 5.3 L33 would smoke intermittently on start up depending on which head gasket was going bad. As this got worse, I would notice coolant level going down, pinging/detonation, and also would begin to fowl spark plugs.
Yesterday I just finished replacing both heads (freshed up set of 243's, less down time), lifters, pushrods, HD rockers, and head gaskets. Seems to run like a top now.
Single exhaust and it's white but since I've started driving it a bit more it doesn't do it as much anymore...mind you it sat for a couple months before I got it, whether that played a part or not but I've been getting offers on her so I may be parting ways with her soon

Timbers68

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's what mine would do intermittently, smoke white smoke. Was head gaskets. Checking the plugs would probably give you a good indication what is going on.

On both sides of the motor it was the front cylinders that were worse. 1 and 3 and 2 and 4. Passenger side went out first, drivers side years later.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A sure sign of valve seals problems is the puff of bluish smoke on start up and you can also see it, if looking for it, is when you stomp on it and go to passing gear. You likely have valve guide problems at that mileage, too. Seals can be done without removing heads but if do guides then should do complete head work at same time but also, think of it this way, at 300k miles, is it time for an engine or do you just do seals, cross fingers and drive it till the engine replacement is obvious and then make that decision.

Brandon johnson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

How can you tell the piston is all the way up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401