The 09 that i wish id never got but now own opinions please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HellBent09six2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So while I like tahoes, my girl has an 09 LT in the beautiful blue granite color. Frame about rusted into and she still owes on it. So I hit up marketplace and see one no rust 09 in Detroit we are in Indiana. No title but it's a parts truck so I don't care. I go there. People have already been picking at it. Little did I know it was a factory 6.2 truck but sadly the carnage is evident in the oil pan that had been taken off and laid on top the bay by the battery. Not shavings, pieces of pot metal sheared off. But it is an LTZ FACTORY 6.2 4X4 Special Ordered 2009. Bad thing is it is a no title available motor trashed truck but we also got rid of hers and I don't know whether to try and put a 6.2 back into mine and petition for a title or part it out and call this rare would be gem a loss. It was a pain going to Detroit and getting it back to Indiana

The people I got it from didn't have it long before destroying the motor and vultures took the hub assemblies and another piece of the front end. The motor is smoked but I couldn't believe a 4x4 stock 6.2 option in an 09 with the perforated leather and cooled/heated seats for that year. Sucks that such a would be amazing truck fell into such careless hands.

I joined this forum to ask opinions on what to do next cause I'm just stuck. Thanks.

OP
OP
HellBent09six2

HellBent09six2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Inputs please I had no idea exactly how rare until later. I bought it and still have it but am unsure of which direction to go with it.

OP
OP
HellBent09six2

HellBent09six2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Look at how stupid the people were

Attachments

• IMG_20230826_110959.jpg
    IMG_20230826_110959.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230826_110952.jpg
    IMG_20230826_110952.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20230826_110949.jpg
    IMG_20230826_110949.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230826_110922.jpg
    IMG_20230826_110922.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230801_140812.jpg
    20230801_140812.jpg
    694.9 KB · Views: 23

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So while I like tahoes, my girl has an 09 LT in the beautiful blue granite color. Frame about rusted into and she still owes on it.

I joined this forum to ask opinions on what to do next cause I'm just stuck. Thanks.

If it was me I'd look at a few things
1. How many miles are on that 6.2L?
2. How much would it cost to put a good used motor in there?
3. How much would it cost to rebuild that motor?
4. What other problems does it have and how much would those cost to fix?

Total all of that up and compare that with buying something different. If it has a shit ton of miles, I would probably pass on putting a motor in it unless you can do most of the work and save the labor.

Only you will know what is best for your financial situation and vehicle needs.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hard to answer without knowing more about you. do you work one these things? do you enjoy it? have a shop to work in? have you gone thru getting a replacement title before is your state?

if you can get a title and have a place to work on stuff. yeah, totally keep it. pull the 6.2, inspect it, have it cleaned up, drop a 415 stroker kit in it with a slightly over stock cam. throw it back together and enjoy it.

if you don't have a place to start a long term project and some free cash. it might not be the time to take on a big project. everything always snowballs into bigger than you think at the beginning.

OP
OP
HellBent09six2

HellBent09six2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how hard it would be to get it back on the road mechanically and then need to do research on how to get it titled.
Wouldn't be that hard. Time and money. I can do the work but just weighing options. Getting a title wouldn't be that difficult I don't guess. I'd just find the lein holder supposedly and settle with them worst case scenario by time I got it done though I don't know that I'd want to pay what they'd want. I've not been able to get ahold of them.

OP
OP
HellBent09six2

HellBent09six2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If it was me I'd look at a few things
1. How many miles are on that 6.2L?
2. How much would it cost to put a good used motor in there?
3. How much would it cost to rebuild that motor?
4. What other problems does it have and how much would those cost to fix?

Total all of that up and compare that with buying something different. If it has a shit ton of miles, I would probably pass on putting a motor in it unless you can do most of the work and save the labor.

Only you will know what is best for your financial situation and vehicle needs.
I have been watching for a good 6.2 even ones with higher mileage needing work they want 3k plus. So I'm still waiting on the right buy. They also took the ltz front suspension so it needs that and cleaning. Needs wheels and tires and while zero rust, the clear is starting to ever so slightly peel from being out west in Texas in its first life and we all know the issues they have just by being GM products so while I want it, I don't need it and am bout to let it go. I don't trust any part of the current 6.2 after seeing what has or further more has not been done to it. I am told 162k miles but who knows if that's true. I do know the last 6 miles on its poor soul are equal to 60k! People are stupid. This motor is a total loss.

OP
OP
HellBent09six2

HellBent09six2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So if I am reading this right, you bought the 6.2 Tahoe and got rid of the 5.3 Tahoe already?

What's your budget, $20K?
Well I bought it and she and I split she still has the 5.3 and yeah I can spend 20k. Over the course of the next 6 months comfortably enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900