“Sorting” our new 2005 esv.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VikingTrad3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i completed the fuel pump replacement method which was diagnosed by the dual lean bank codes and a very rich smelling exhaust. (ecm commands injectors to dump in fuel)

i will use this thread to track all repairs to keep this machine in as new condition for wifey and kids.

New code is for knock sensor. in our 06 denali xl ownership i never had to carry out this repair.

any tips for me “while im in there?”. this vehicle is very clean and well worth the extra investment of preventative maintenance so if u guys have suggestions ill gladly heed them.

thnx all.

ill also post a few pictures in the next post.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll spit out points as I think of them:

Materials needed are just a set of intake manifold gaskets and ACDelco (or are they Delphi?) sensors. You might wanna have a new harness on standby just in case (probably likely) the original is cruddy. There are foam blocks in front and rear of the underside of the manifold that fill in the gap to keep debris out. These are usually long gone at higher mileages. You can get the stock replacements or just pieces of foam rubber weather seal with the adhesive back on them. I'd advise to get a roll of the foam rubber weather seal so you'll have plenty left over to replace the foam between the air filter box and inner fender as that's always rotted and gone as well.

Use a shop vac or compressed air (shield your eyes!) to clean out the holes before you remove the old sensors.

If you wanna splurge, now is a really convenient time to replace the oil pressure sensor since you'll have uninhibited access to it.

Also, if it's leaking, the valley cover gasket would be an easy extra 20 minute job.

Other than that, it's all simple unbolting and re-bolting. For the cheap investment, I recommend a fuel line disconnect tool. I like the scissor style for this. They're only about $7 at Amazon and $9 at Harbor Freight for the deluxe kit.

While the manifold is off, you can check it for oil puddled up in the very back. I clean them with degreaser, spray with the garden hose, repeat as desired, then finally with brake cleaner and air dry with the blow gun on the compressor.

Disconnect the PCV and vacuum hoses from the valve cover and fitting on the booster and take them out with the manifold rather than disconnecting them from the fittings on the manifold. They're easily broken plastic nipples so it's best to avoid any pulling or twisting on them.

If there's oil puddled in the manifold, you should invest in a catch can.

Example of weather seal tape on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/fowong-Weath...her+seal+tape+3/4"&qid=1581902185&s=hi&sr=1-8

Quick Disconnect tool kit at HF:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-quick-disconnect-tool-set-38732.html

Fuel Line Disconnect tool on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YFRD1Y6/ref=psdc_15707681_t1_B0195XBPPQ

Catch can on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Tasan-Racing-Universal-Aluminum-Separtor/dp/B07KK81KMG/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=catch+can&qid=1581902008&refinements=p_85:2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&s=automotive&sr=1-19

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Do the knock sensor harness, valley pan gasket, knock sensor lower oil grommets. Don't forget a gasket for the throttle plate.

Good chance to do the gaskets for the steam pipes too.

You can take or leave the oil pressure sensor IMO. It's easy to get to, albeit a blind replacement with the intake on.

Oh, and TORQUE THE KNOCK SENSORS TO SPEC

Depending on the kit you get, it may or may not come with injector o-rings. They're easy to do

It's an easy job. Just be sterile with it. Once the intake comes off, vacuum out your valley pan area and tape off the intake runners for your cylinders.

OP
OP
V

VikingTrad3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys. ive compiled a large rock auto order to crank this all out in a weekend.

really appreciate the tips and suggestions!!!!!! it is the difference between “gotchas” and “smooth sailing”.

hey dub, i dont suppose you are the same dub as over on corvetteforum?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys. ive compiled a large rock auto order to crank this all out in a weekend.

really appreciate the tips and suggestions!!!!!! it is the difference between “gotchas” and “smooth sailing”.

hey dub, i dont suppose you are the same dub as over on corvetteforum?

Probably not. I joined that forum to collect parts from the classifieds and I believe I’m under an old screen name over there.

BTW, use a thin layer of RTV sealant under the seals on the knock sensor harness as an extra precaution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GLisn