Yukon drives like a death trap after 4" lift.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbenten83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Yukon 4x4, Installed a 4" BDS and 35's on stock wheels a couple of years ago, and ever since then it drives terrible. Feels like it oversteers really bad, it's all over the freeway at 70mph. Could this be an install issue from the get go? or maybe a sway bar issue? Everyone that has driven the car thinks something is wrong with it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anytime you go up with lift or tire size, any existing problem is magnified. I would check the alignment, then inspect the center link, idler arm and tie rods. Or reverse that in case you need to replace parts. Its an easy replacement of everything. Also take a good look at the front hubs and ball joints.

OP
OP
C

cbenten83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anytime you go up with lift or tire size, any existing problem is magnified. I would check the alignment, then inspect the center link, idler arm and tie rods. Or reverse that in case you need to replace parts. Its an easy replacement of everything. Also take a good look at the front hubs and ball joints.
Thanks for the reply, alignment is something i have not checked just because it drives straight but there could be something there. I took it to a front end shop and had em check everything. Needed one ball joint but didnt change anything. it does feel like bad oversteer so maybe an alighnment will help.

It started the first day the lift was installed and has stayed the same ever since.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alignment for sure, and have them take a second look at the steering links. That lift really changes the geometry of the linkage. Any looseness is magnified quite a bit.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, alignment is something i have not checked just because it drives straight but there could be something there. I took it to a front end shop and had em check everything. Needed one ball joint but didnt change anything. it does feel like bad oversteer so maybe an alighnment will help.

It started the first day the lift was installed and has stayed the same ever since.

There's more to an alignment than just driving straight. I bet you don't have enough positive caster or, worse, zero or negative caster. That'll make sensitive, twitchy steering. Find a large, empty lot for this: At a slow speed, maybe 5-10 MPH, if you turn the wheel and let go, does the wheel naturally return to center? Back straight up and test the steering left to right- is it still as sensitive?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of lift is it? If it is a spacer lift (spacer(s) on the top and/or bottom of the struts) reusing all the stock control arms and knuckles, that will definitely drive terrible because the ball joint angles are all trashed and it'll have awful bump steer. You really can't go more than 1" up or down without doing something to maintain angles if you still want it to drive nice. I'm sure this statement will make someone angry and want to argue but anyone who disagrees usually just doesn't notice how bad it drives compared to stock (and you may want to be thankful for that because being oblivious is a lot cheaper).

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2015 Yukon 4x4, Installed a 4" BDS and 35's on stock wheels a couple of years ago, and ever since then it drives terrible. Feels like it oversteers really bad, it's all over the freeway at 70mph. Could this be an install issue from the get go? or maybe a sway bar issue? Everyone that has driven the car thinks something is wrong with it.
Who installed the kit?

OP
OP
C

cbenten83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There's more to an alignment than just driving straight. I bet you don't have enough positive caster or, worse, zero or negative caster. That'll make sensitive, twitchy steering. Find a large, empty lot for this: At a slow speed, maybe 5-10 MPH, if you turn the wheel and let go, does the wheel naturally return to center? Back straight up and test the steering left to right- is it still as sensitive?
Ok thanks ill try that, sounds like an alignment check is my next to do.

OP
OP
C

cbenten83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What kind of lift is it? If it is a spacer lift (spacer(s) on the top and/or bottom of the struts) reusing all the stock control arms and knuckles, that will definitely drive terrible because the ball joint angles are all trashed and it'll have awful bump steer. You really can't go more than 1" up or down without doing something to maintain angles if you still want it to drive nice. I'm sure this statement will make someone angry and want to argue but anyone who disagrees usually just doesn't notice how bad it drives compared to stock (and you may want to be thankful for that because being oblivious is a lot cheaper).
It's a BDS 4", just like their 6" but 4. Not a spacer lift im aware of that being no good.