Yukon Denali 6.2 towing Travel Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
The KNP should be the heavy duty one, but it is a lot smaller than any of the Tru-Cool ones.

At least, the KNP for 2002 is this one here:
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-20880895-Equipment-Automatic-Transmission/dp/B0049417FU

The regular one appears to be ACDELCO 52497562
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-52497562-Equipment-Automatic-Transmission/dp/B000C9TO5Q

I will say that for nearly all my towing, the heavy duty cooler did fine. It was just in the extremes like climbing up the Coq. did things struggle.

However, I do like that you were able to keep the AC running. On the Coq our engine temperatures were going a little above 212 at which point I turned the AC off and the heat on. You DO NOT want to have any sort of breakdown on the Coq. If you do a street view, you will see there is no place to pull over at all. At least the California Grapevine has more places to pull over.

Anyway, thanks, I now have some perspective. I'm quite surprised that keeping transmission temperatures down helped out that much with engine temperatures.

No there is plenty of air at 60 mph....

I know your probably right, but it is "preheating" the air to the condensor. Im way over thinking this! But we live in the upper mojave and in the summer 110 is a normal day!

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
The KNP should be the heavy duty one, but it is a lot smaller than any of the Tru-Cool ones.

At least, the KNP for 2002 is this one here:
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-20880895-Equipment-Automatic-Transmission/dp/B0049417FU

The regular one appears to be ACDELCO 52497562
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-52497562-Equipment-Automatic-Transmission/dp/B000C9TO5Q

I will say that for nearly all my towing, the heavy duty cooler did fine. It was just in the extremes like climbing up the Coq. did things struggle.

However, I do like that you were able to keep the AC running. On the Coq our engine temperatures were going a little above 212 at which point I turned the AC off and the heat on. You DO NOT want to have any sort of breakdown on the Coq. If you do a street view, you will see there is no place to pull over at all. At least the California Grapevine has more places to pull over.

Anyway, thanks, I now have some perspective. I'm quite surprised that keeping transmission temperatures down helped out that much with engine temperatures.

I was as well. But in my mind, I think that with the lines running through the radiator the cooler has to work doubly hard to get the temp down once it hit a certain point. Thus the bigger better cooler helps with all of this effort. What got me the most is that when I run off the highway into stop and go traffic the Tranny temp will actually drop even with the AC on and stopped so my thought is that the combination seems to do what folks said it would..

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
Just to add to this: If you don't want to take apart the front bumper/grill to
add an aux trans cooler you can replace the stock trans pan with one like
a B&M unit that has cooling fins on it and also holds about 2-3 qts more fluid.
I've used these types of pans on several of my vehicles and I can say that they
do work. Also you get the advantage of a drain plug and a pre-tapped bung for
adding a trans temp gauge if you like. Plus they are heavy and solid cast alum
so IMO they help "square" up the case and pan for some more rigidity

That was going to be my next addition if this did not as well as it has. I may do this still. I read it is a pain to get that pan off !! I would love a drain plug!

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I know your probably right, but it is "preheating" the air to the condensor. Im way over thinking this! But we live in the upper mojave and in the summer 110 is a normal day!
Nope, moving the trans cooler away from the A/C condenser and radiator is hitting the nail on the head. Yes, under the radiator or through the fog light area to the fender well is race bred technology.

Knowing you’ve got higher than normal ambient temps is not over thinking it. It’s thermally protecting it from wear. I’d towi in 110* with fresh coolant, water wetter additive and minimally a relocated trans cooler. It would isolate the engine load from the additional load of the trans and totally lower the under hood temps.

It not overthinking it, it’s ...

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving through city traffic yesterday, fair amount of lights and traffic, transmission temperature was 160s to 170s and it was 92 degrees outside. A ten minute highway run brought it down from the mid 170s to 160 and then she heated up a little the last few miles back to the house at 40 mph, 162 or 163. Truck was unladen, just me. She's stock with the factory cooler and the fluid is fresh.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Nope, moving the trans cooler away from the A/C condenser and radiator is hitting the nail on the head. Yes, under the radiator or through the fog light area to the fender well is race bred technology.

Knowing you’ve got higher than normal ambient temps is not over thinking it. It’s thermally protecting it from wear. I’d towi in 110* with fresh coolant, water wetter additive and minimally a relocated trans cooler. It would isolate the engine load from the additional load of the trans and totally lower the under hood temps.

It not overthinking it, it’s ...

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will definitley give my relocation a try, I know the method is correct and when i lay under the front of the vehicle the area behind the bumper is screaming for the cooler. Ill open up the fake facia lower grill and use a remote fan so it will function consistently with or without ram air effect. Thanke for the post.

Reaction score
I've seen trans coolers with fans mounted to them for placement along side frame rails, etc.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

steved34

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Simple question... Have new 19 yukon 4x4 6.2 w auto ride, been told i cant use airbags, have travel trailer that is 30' weighs 6500 dry and has tongue weight of 700lbs. I had airbags on my duramax so i didnt get that crazy sag, or bottoming out feeling. Any aftermarket suggestions? its hard for to believe that trailer is not gonna sag the crap out of a 1/2 ton when i did see some sag in a 3/4 ton. And yes i have weight distribution hitch.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple question... Have new 19 yukon 4x4 6.2 w auto ride, been told i cant use airbags, have travel trailer that is 30' weighs 6500 dry and has tongue weight of 700lbs. I had airbags on my duramax so i didnt get that crazy sag, or bottoming out feeling. Any aftermarket suggestions? its hard for to believe that trailer is not gonna sag the crap out of a 1/2 ton when i did see some sag in a 3/4 ton. And yes i have weight distribution hitch.

If you have a weight distributing hitch and have it adjusted correctly, you don't need airbags. In fact, a WDH is a much better and safer option.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The bags (Z55) on the truck do no affect the capacity, only the way the suspension reacts to the weight. The WDH is going to do all the magic and get the weight over the rear axle into spec.

Who ever said you can't use bags (alone) to tow that trailer is correct. The next question they should of inquired about is, do you had a WDH. Once the WDH is dialed in the bags on the Denali level the truck off so you don't blind oncoming traffic and regain almost all of your steering control. The Z55, unlike old skool bags, continually monitor the ride height and adjust themselves. You'll only notice what you're missing with Z55. It nearly eliminates hitch drag when entering extreme driveways at a crawl and acts as a buffer if all the extras wifey snuck in the trailer adds a little more tongue weight.