Mid travel or long travel Yukon Xl?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mondaytown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
*I just realized I put this in the 21+ forum and not the correct year. I just reposted in the correct forum. Sorry!*

I’ve got a 2015 Yukon XL that I bought for cheap with a blown transmission.

I’m building an overland vehicle and plan on doing a lot of off-roading

I’ve completely rebuilt and upgraded the drivetrain. I’ve ordered front and rear bumpers from baseline Overland and just ordered new 32 inch all-terrain tires. I’m now looking to figure out what to do with the suspension.

I was told that Izzy Fab just came out with a mid travel suspension kit for these that gives you 10 inches of travel. You have the option of king shocks or Icon.

I’ve been scouring the Internet trying to see if anyone has done a mid travel or long travel kit on these and I can’t hardly find anything so wondering if anyone has had any experience with either one and has any recommendations?

We do have a 4000 pound Overlanding trailer that we will be pulling. I occasionally tow ATVs and such but usually never over 5000 pounds.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you planning to do a lot of off-roading or minor rock crawling? I'm trying to understand why a stock suspension would not work for you.

OP
OP
M

Mondaytown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you planning to do a lot of off-roading or minor rock crawling? I'm trying to understand why a stock suspension would not work for you.
I’m building an overlander. Planning on doing a lot of off roading. With it being long I know we will scrape but between the high clearance bumpers, winch and under armor I think we can drag through it. But I want beefy suspension that will hold up well and ride as nice as possible.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m building an overlander. Planning on doing a lot of off roading. With it being long I know we will scrape but between the high clearance bumpers, winch and under armor I think we can drag through it. But I want beefy suspension that will hold up well and ride as nice as possible.
OK. Understood, and this information will be helpful to folks on this Forum who can give you some pointers.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2015 Yukon XL that I bought for cheap with a blown transmission.

I’m building an overland vehicle and plan on doing a lot of off-roading

I’ve completely rebuilt and upgraded the drivetrain. I’ve ordered front and rear bumpers from baseline Overland and just ordered new 32 inch all-terrain tires. I’m now looking to figure out what to do with the suspension.

I was told that Izzy Fab just came out with a mid travel suspension kit for these that gives you 10 inches of travel. You have the option of king shocks or Icon.

I’ve been scouring the Internet trying to see if anyone has done a mid travel or long travel kit on these and I can’t hardly find anything so wondering if anyone has had any experience with either one and has any recommendations?

We do have a 4000 pound Overlanding trailer that we will be pulling. I occasionally tow ATVs and such but usually never over 5000 pounds.
that izzy fab is pretty expensive for what it is and not is
you could do a 4.5" lift (oem track width) complete for less
the cst lift is primarily for pickups, so it doesn't come with rear springs or shock extenders but you could do bilstein 5100's 0r 4600's all around. you would just need rear shock extenders and springs.
I am sure there are other options out there but not many retain oem track width
they make a stage 2-3 also but that just includes coil overs and rear shocks you would still need extenders and springs
if you are doing a lot of offroading then you will want some clearance, perhaps without going to absurd lengths or expense

OP
OP
M

Mondaytown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
that izzy fab is pretty expensive for what it is and not is
you could do a 4.5" lift (oem track width) complete for less
the cst lift is primarily for pickups, so it doesn't come with rear springs or shock extenders but you could do bilstein 5100's 0r 4600's all around. you would just need rear shock extenders and springs.
I am sure there are other options out there but not many retain oem track width
they make a stage 2-3 also but that just includes coil overs and rear shocks you would still need extenders and springs
if you are doing a lot of offroading then you will want some clearance, perhaps without going to absurd lengths or expense
I'm a bit new to suspension setup's, so maybe a dumb question, but from what I understand the Izzy nearly doubles the useable suspension travel to 10'' and significantly improves the ride.

I just was looking at the link and it doesn't mention any travel increases. Do you feel like it takes the bumps a lot smoother than the stock suspension does? Truck looks great by the way!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit new to suspension setup's, so maybe a dumb question, but from what I understand the Izzy nearly doubles the useable suspension travel to 10'' and significantly improves the ride.

I just was looking at the link and it doesn't mention any travel increases. Do you feel like it takes the bumps a lot smoother than the stock suspension does? Truck looks great by the way!
First you will want to reach out to CST to be sure you can use there kit, but here is a photo of the stock suspension versus the cst, there is no bumpstop anymore so you do get some extra travel how much exactly I don't know you gain some extra comfort from larger tires
1000004440.jpg1000004439.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
plus you gain 4.5" of body clearance + whatever extra tire size you use so you can get around rocks and obstacles easier
the kit will allow for up to 35's

rough country sells a 3.5" cheap lift kit $499, but that doesn't keep your differential lined up right, not sure what else it out there that doesn't make your front end 4" wider making you have to use spacers which are garbage

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts