Mid travel or long travel Yukon Xl?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2001 TX Tahoe

Reaction score
Yes they keep everything the same, even the CV axles are left stock. They claim you can run 37's with some fender trimming. I don't really have a desire to go bigger than 35's at most.

Thats good to know! I've been debating between a soft shell and hard shell. I think I'm leaning that way now. I like fast.

This really has me thinking about my Yukon suspension now... and I just bought a TRX :rolleyes:.

On your rear set-up, do the 2" Dobinson springs cause any issues with the track bar and/or control arm lengths or angles, or the driveshaft pinion angle? Which air bladders are you planning on using?

Regarding the front, how'd you decide on Izzy vs just coilovers with upper arms? Was it for the additional travel?

I see Izzy has the rack and pinion but they show it for 07-13... do they make one for our generation?

I had a Eaton E-Locker in my 2001 Tahoe. Worked flawlessly and no air lines or compressor required.

Regarding lights, hands down Baja Designs. I think they make better lights and customer service is superior to Rigid. For headlights, I swapped out the factory bulbs with Diode Dynamics LED bulbs and it made a huge difference.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This really has me thinking about my Yukon suspension now... and I just bought a TRX :rolleyes:.

On your rear set-up, do the 2" Dobinson springs cause any issues with the track bar and/or control arm lengths or angles, or the driveshaft pinion angle? Which air bladders are you planning on using?

Regarding the front, how'd you decide on Izzy vs just coilovers with upper arms? Was it for the additional travel?

I see Izzy has the rack and pinion but they show it for 07-13... do they make one for our generation?

I had a Eaton E-Locker in my 2001 Tahoe. Worked flawlessly and no air lines or compressor required.

Regarding lights, hands down Baja Designs. I think they make better lights and customer service is superior to Rigid. For headlights, I swapped out the factory bulbs with Diode Dynamics LED bulbs and it made a huge difference.
diode dynamics make light's also
ss3b.JPG

OP
OP
M

Mondaytown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I just realized on my phone it didn’t show that the rack and pinion was only for the hydraulic era vehicles. A quick phone call just confirmed that they do not make a replacement rack and pinion for the 2015. But they do make a conversion kit to go back to hydraulic and then you can use their billet rack and pinion.

I have not actually installed those coils yet from Dobson. I’ve just been in the process of ordering everything as I’ve researched it. Although with someone else’s recommendation of skyjacker I’m double checking before I order those springs.

The main reason why I decided to go with Izzy was because of the travel. After comparing the other mid travel options I liked how well built these were and the fact that these pushed the front wheels forward an inch and still allowed use of the Stock CV axles.

That’s good to know on the lights. I will start looking for those. I’m still a few weeks out on the bumpers before they arrive so I got some time.

Those TRX’s are fun! there’s quite a few of them in my neighborhood. That was actually what motivated my horsepower goal because I didn’t want to get beat by any of them lol. it’s hard to beat that suspension though. And I love how smooth that engine puts out the power.

2001 TX Tahoe

Reaction score
I just realized on my phone it didn’t show that the rack and pinion was only for the hydraulic era vehicles. A quick phone call just confirmed that they do not make a replacement rack and pinion for the 2015. But they do make a conversion kit to go back to hydraulic and then you can use their billet rack and pinion.

I have not actually installed those coils yet from Dobson. I’ve just been in the process of ordering everything as I’ve researched it. Although with someone else’s recommendation of skyjacker I’m double checking before I order those springs.

The main reason why I decided to go with Izzy was because of the travel. After comparing the other mid travel options I liked how well built these were and the fact that these pushed the front wheels forward an inch and still allowed use of the Stock CV axles.

That’s good to know on the lights. I will start looking for those. I’m still a few weeks out on the bumpers before they arrive so I got some time.

Those TRX’s are fun! there’s quite a few of them in my neighborhood. That was actually what motivated my horsepower goal because I didn’t want to get beat by any of them lol. it’s hard to beat that suspension though. And I love how smooth that engine puts out the power.

Thanks for the feedback. Good info.

I guess I'm wondering about the geometry of the rear suspension regardless of spring manufacturer. At what height will it throw things off? For example, my 6" BDS lift came with brackets for the control arms and track bar.

Air Bags - I came across the Air Lift 1000. Looks like an inexpensive option that inflates from an external source.

Lockers - maybe I missed it, but just looked and don't see that the ARB or Eaton E-Locker are available for our trucks...

Electrical - FYI, I am running a stock alternator and Odyssey battery and haven't had any issues powering my lights or refrigerator... knock on wood.

The TRX is the most amazing vehicle I've ever driven. Will probably set it up for camping /overlanding but still trying to figure that out.

OP
OP
M

Mondaytown

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Good info.

I guess I'm wondering about the geometry of the rear suspension regardless of spring manufacturer. At what height will it throw things off? For example, my 6" BDS lift came with brackets for the control arms and track bar.

Air Bags - I came across the Air Lift 1000. Looks like an inexpensive option that inflates from an external source.

Lockers - maybe I missed it, but just looked and don't see that the ARB or Eaton E-Locker are available for our trucks...

Electrical - FYI, I am running a stock alternator and Odyssey battery and haven't had any issues powering my lights or refrigerator... knock on wood.

The TRX is the most amazing vehicle I've ever driven. Will probably set it up for camping /overlanding but still trying to figure that out.
The geometry I’m not real sure about. I do know based on my conversation with the owner of baseline Overland who is running that exact same set up in the back that it seems to do very well. It’s about a 3 inch lift overstock.

He sent me pictures of the airbag that goes inside of the spring. The reason he wanted that kind versus the Bolton kind is it does not reduce suspension flex or travel whatsoever.

I really like that idea so I think that’s the direction I’m gonna go.

I feel like that TRX would be an amazing overland vehicle!

2001 TX Tahoe

Reaction score
The geometry I’m not real sure about. I do know based on my conversation with the owner of baseline Overland who is running that exact same set up in the back that it seems to do very well. It’s about a 3 inch lift overstock.

He sent me pictures of the airbag that goes inside of the spring. The reason he wanted that kind versus the Bolton kind is it does not reduce suspension flex or travel whatsoever.

I really like that idea so I think that’s the direction I’m gonna go.

I feel like that TRX would be an amazing overland vehicle!

Do you know which airbags he's using?

I'd love to find a rear coil that's only about a 1" lift.

Project Workshop

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great info here already, but wanted to share my experience as it sounds like you and I are on a similar path.

Izzy's mid travel kit is a great option. I saw it in person when I picked up my skid plate from him, and the quality of the parts he and his team build are top notch. If you want to avoid running front fiberglass their mid travel kit is a great option for you.

Izzy did recently release a bolt on long travel kit you might consider as well. You will have to install fiberglass fenders, but that kit is $5k with shocks, and can cycle 13" to 15" of front travel using bolt on coilovers.

Another option is to run something like I have with a replacement UCA and DSC FOX coliovers. We have run the new setup quite a bit offroad and I love it. The FOX shocks are not cheap, but the DSC is definitely worth the upgrade. I thought the DSC was a gimmick until I rode in a truck with them and felt the difference before and after adjusting.

More travel is great but a properly setup shock is essential. Whichever route you take I highly recommend getting the shocks tuned. From what I have gathered the shocks that you buy from any of the manufacturers for our platform are going to be setup for the trucks. The 700lb spring in the coilovers was too stiff for my front end. Even with the preload dialed all the way out the front end sat high, limiting the down travel. With a 600lb spring it rides great.

For the rear I have been running the Dobinsons springs below. Not a huge fan of the color, but they do what I need them to do. With the added weight of the spare tire carrier, sleeping platform, and everything carried in the platform the boost in constant load made all the difference for me. If you aren't carrying all the weight Dobinsons has a standard 2" lift spring available at Baseline Overland as well.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar