Yukon Denali 6.2 towing Travel Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garyjw2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2008 yukon xl denali, that I use to tow a 2010 passport ultralight dry weight 4,700 at 28 feet long. I have 4 kids and we load the trailer with about 1,500-2,000 max i live in Oregon and travel alot to cali and Washington so many big hills in high elevation. I have been towing with this setup for 3 years and have some problems over heating when i hit hills. The gauges read always 210° on engine temperature, 20-30 on oil gauge and around 195-235 transmission temp. Once I start climbing the hill temp starts rising. I have found that putting it in 3rd gear and running around 2,500-3,000 ram i run around 35-40mph just accepting a slow climb. The temp starts to go down once I do this. But I want to take the hills at 50mph.lol. So overall I think it's a good setup and you should have no problems. Also just make sure you have the right tires on the truck whatever the door says. just giving my input and also looking for help or advice on upgrades to denali. Thanks for helping and hope this helps.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Wow, that's a lot going wrong. How many miles?

Mine rolled 200k in April, and she's still all-oringinal - powertrain, suspension, hell I've owned her for 7 years and 90k miles and haven't even replaced the brake pads. Lots of highway driving (though I did drive for Uber for a while in Ann Arbor - lots of starts/stops/idling), always garaged, and religiously **** about fluid changes/PM.

Your like one of those motivational speakers standing in front of a crowd saying "i did it and so can you"! Yours is a true success story and i can only hope for a similar result! I am also religious in regard to PM so im doing what i can and practice really solid driving style. The only real abuse is towing our 4500lb TT and into a headwind at 6-7 mpg it's hard to kid myself that the trans wont grenade eventually.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your like one of those motivational speakers standing in front of a crowd saying "i did it and so can you"! Yours is a true success story and i can only hope for a similar result! I am also religious in regard to PM so im doing what i can and practice really solid driving style. The only real abuse is towing our 4500lb TT and into a headwind at 6-7 mpg it's hard to kid myself that the trans wont grenade eventually.
The 6L80E is built hell-for-stout. Lots of them out there rolling 300k+ with proper maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that’s only about 1/3 of what it can do unless your rig was loaded down too. If I only happens in this circumstance I’d say you’re fine. You might want to make sure your trans fluid is fresh and clean though.
Thanks for the reassurance. The fluid is definitely clean - changed every 30k like clockwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667