Would you buy your Yukon/Tahoe again?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kendall69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a new 4 Runner for the wife, which was a great vehicle. I'm a big guy so I never felt comfortable on long trips. I sold the 4 runner for almost what I paid for it new after using it for two years and got the 17 loaded GMC XL. No comparison. A week after I got it I drove 18 hours straight and the entire time it felt like I was in my living room chair. In two weeks I drove 6K miles and the XL help all our great for three people, and plenty of sports equipment. The room is AMAZING, fuel economy is nearing the 4runner. All in all yes 100% I would buy again.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends if I want to defy my wife -- NOT!

All kidding aside, I'm on my third Suburban, and despite the occasional computer glitches, I have no regrets. Just completed college trip with No 1 son this past weekend and will take Nos 2 and 3 sons down to college next week -- with just the third row seat down.

Oh, and I got 24 mpg on the trip back from Norfolk, VA to Washington DC.

Last edited:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I would, but my wife would not.

I am really happy with how it drives, its on\offroad capability, its reliability, and its cargo\passenger capacity. However, my wife hates the 18" athracite wheels and AT tires (love them), the "man cave" look of the Z71 (love it), and the ever increasing rattles. I'm also getting a periodic resonance at 70+mph. It seems like the roof is oscillating at high-speed\high-wind - periodically. Seems to only happen when my she is in the truck.

You know what this means, right? Its all her fault and stay the hell outta the damn truck!!!!!!

jem556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not likely that I would purchase again. Loved my 03 LT and felt it was worth the money. This 2015 on the other hand... not so much.

Mwbutcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2017 Yukon SLT Premium with 8" Driver Information Center and I would definitely buy another one. Coming from a 2014 Sierra All Terrain Crew Cab which was nice but love the Yukon so much more for travel.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Tahoe LT with the midnight package and towing package. We just hauled a 32' camper 18 hours each way, and it was great. We have 4 kids and had a Tundra before. One kid would have had to ride between us up front the entire way. We purchased the unlimited data for the trip so they could all use their devices. Best road trip I've had in a long time.

Tahoe jacked itself up with the air ride so it wasn't doing the Cali lean. I learned stuff about the Tahoe I didn't even know it had on that trip. Definitely worth it and would purchase again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts from someone with an 02 LT AutoRide (for sale..:) )
I have 80k on the vehicle, the majority of it is in the snow for towing a snowmobile trailer.

Got really P.O.'d at Chevy for a few things, and swore I would buy a non-GM vehicle for the first time in my life.
The brake line issues that they beat the recall on, the issue with certain heads cracking, having it towed in to the dealer for a stuck ignition lock. (Told the dealer I heard horror stories of $800 repair bills. He said no-way, if everything went wrong it would be high $300 tops. Calls me in the morning and asks if I want to give them $800 or send a tow truck to get my vehicle off their lot.)

I think that it is the smoothest vehicle I ever rode in though. Loved the ride, and the auto level was great for trailering.

Picked up a "stripped down" 2014 SSV with 70k. Weird giving up the moon roof, leather/heated seats, great ride, auto-level, etc.,

but the G80 locker is what brought me back. I looked at Armada and Sequoia, which both pull more, but you can end up with two wheels spinning on a 4WD vehicle. Looked at aftermarket locker options but didn't like the setups. Was not a fan of what Ford and others are doing for "traction", applying breaks or cutting the motor. Didn't have that in my first Tahoe, and can at least turn it off in my second one.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a '17 Yukon Denali. Even though I don't tow, I have two kids and there's a lot to like about the Yukon. We take at least one long road trip a year and the comfort is a strong factor. I have a preference for the 6.2 and the 8 speed so that's where the Denali comes in.

I could get comparable room in a Chevy Traverse. Not sure how the new '18's drive though.

After seeing that Consumer Reports ranked the Yukon/Tahoe 8th out of 10 with 51 out of 100 points, would you buy it again?

From their perspective it's completely unreliable, won't handle accident avoidance, etc.
If you don't like the Consumer Reports rating on the Tahoe/Yukon, consider the JD Power rating instead. And take all of them with a grain of salt.

I don't think the consumer testing market is biased, but I do think it's hard to sample in large enough numbers to get repeatable results. The data bears this out when you see substantial variance across carryover model years or platform equivalent cars built at the same factories (e.g. the Audi A6 usually scores better than the A7, which makes no sense).

I love our Tahoe and would absolutely buy another one if it were totaled or stolen. You like the 6.2/8-speed - those will be available in Tahoes in the '18 models as well as Yukons. So you can go Tahoe if you like the styling better.

Last edited:

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a 2017 Yukon Denali...and would buy it again. Recently drove 2017 Yukon SLE and I would not buy this model. The Denali 6.2 engine with 8 speed is so much better than the base 5.3 engine with 6 speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts