Would you buy your Yukon/Tahoe again?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PivotalRex

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a '17 Yukon Denali. Even though I don't tow, I have two kids and there's a lot to like about the Yukon. We take at least one long road trip a year and the comfort is a strong factor. I have a preference for the 6.2 and the 8 speed so that's where the Denali comes in.

I could get comparable room in a Chevy Traverse. Not sure how the new '18's drive though.

After seeing that Consumer Reports ranked the Yukon/Tahoe 8th out of 10 with 51 out of 100 points, would you buy it again?

From their perspective it's completely unreliable, won't handle accident avoidance, etc.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 tahoes and a suburban in my family. I have 17 Tahoe waiting to replace the burb should gm offer a buyback soon. I have not had a significant problem with any of them. I'd like to see the completion handle a foot of snow. Aside from the expedition navigator and the large Toyota. There is no competition.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 tahoes and a suburban in my family. I have 17 Tahoe waiting to replace the burb should gm offer a buyback soon. I have not had a significant problem with any of them. I'd like to see the completion handle a foot of snow. Aside from the expedition navigator and the large Toyota. There is no competition.

Why are they buying it back if you havent had any significant issues??

Re snow/offroad, many of the competitors have higher clearances than the Tahoe/Yukon. Including the likes of the subarus, Cherokees, 4runner, Porsche etc

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a '17 Yukon Denali. Even though I don't tow, I have two kids and there's a lot to like about the Yukon. We take at least one long road trip a year and the comfort is a strong factor. I have a preference for the 6.2 and the 8 speed so that's where the Denali comes in.

I could get comparable room in a Chevy Traverse. Not sure how the new '18's drive though.

After seeing that Consumer Reports ranked the Yukon/Tahoe 8th out of 10 with 51 out of 100 points, would you buy it again?

From their perspective it's completely unreliable, won't handle accident avoidance, etc.

This is my second Tahoe/Yukon. I'd likely buy again unless some meaningful 3rd row competitors entered the market to give it a run for its money...CR's hates truck based SUV's due to the poor ride dynamics.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are they buying it back if you havent had any significant issues??

Re snow/offroad, many of the competitors have higher clearances than the Tahoe/Yukon. Including the likes of the subarus, Cherokees, 4runner, Porsche etc

They are not buying back. Gm offers incentives to get a newer vehicle and the get to sell newer used vehicles. None of the vehicles mentioned can tow or has the carrying capacity of a Tahoe/burb. I live in an area that gets some good snow storms. While I see a few keeps and subarus ride around on ordinary weather days. I don't see anything but full size suvs and pickups tooling around in the 8" plus storms

mylegs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We bought a '16 Acadia Denali last March. It was nice, but dated. But it was way cheaper than the Yukon, especially with 0% financing. The kids for whatever reason hated the backseats. Plus, it had crappy faux chrome wheels (bright chromy plastic glued to the rims). The a/c was weird and the door trim kept falling off. It ran well but no one really liked riding in it. We would often take the minivan instead...

Fast forward to this summer and we decide to all stop complaining and just go get the Yukon. No complaints, period. Drives like a dream, all the bells and whistles, just pricier. I'm not loving the higher cost, but it's a MUCH nicer vehicle than the old-style Acadia it replaced.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are not buying back. Gm offers incentives to get a newer vehicle and the get to sell newer used vehicles. None of the vehicles mentioned can tow or has the carrying capacity of a Tahoe/burb. I live in an area that gets some good snow storms. While I see a few keeps and subarus ride around on ordinary weather days. I don't see anything but full size suvs and pickups tooling around in the 8" plus storms

I live in the Northeast so people will drive pretty much anything in any weather lol. The limiting factor these days (with how advanced AWD/4WD systems are) is clearance. As for towing, the jeep, durango, land rover, expedition, sequoia, , lexus and many others can all tow 6,000LBS or greater.

But dont get me wrong, I wouldnt swap my 6.2L yukon for any of those!

TxChevyz71

Reaction score
I'd buy my XL Denali again, UNLESS.. *GASP* there was something like a 2500 Yukon XL or Excursion sized available again. Then I'd go get that.

bgsntth

Reaction score
Yes I would, but my wife would not.

I am really happy with how it drives, its on\offroad capability, its reliability, and its cargo\passenger capacity. However, my wife hates the 18" athracite wheels and AT tires (love them), the "man cave" look of the Z71 (love it), and the ever increasing rattles. I'm also getting a periodic resonance at 70+mph. It seems like the roof is oscillating at high-speed\high-wind - periodically. Seems to only happen when my she is in the truck.