Woman took my car... civil issue... trying to get it back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

fixmycar

Reaction score
@Officer Sparky Correct, it's 100% civil and I've been told I cannot call police because it's a civil issue.

This is in the state of Florida btw, your friendly neighbor.

Yes, I am the only registered owner, only person on the loan, title is with the lien holder and I'm the only one on it.
There is no bill of sale, just verbal that she would pay for the car, she would make monthly payment and carry insurance, both of which she has not done for months.

We were never married, just cohabitants with a single child.

I do have a key I made from the dealership, as I was able to get the DMV to mail me a copy of the registration as the local offices are closed.
The dealership said I needed to bring in the car to get the key coded to the vehicle. I'm not sure how to registered a dealer key to the car.
If it's literally 3-5 secs, then I could do it myself. If it requires longer, I would not feel comfortable trying to do that while in the parking lot of the place she is staying.

Yes, I've learned my lesson... Tough lesson, always learning them as I grow older... never ends. Thanks

Does anyone know how to registered a new dealer chipped key to a 2012 Yukon XL Denali?

And thanks, I don't take any information online as coming from a lawyer or legal advice! :)

OP
OP
F

fixmycar

Reaction score
Reading through previous posts:

1. Can't call police, it's not technically stolen and I've been told it's a civil issue and if I report it stolen I can be held legally accountable for what happens.
2. I've already contacted OnStar. They can only help out if their is an active connection. There is currently no active connection so they are unable from what hey told me to make a connection to the car. I would need to get into the car, hit the blue button and then I assume be in the car and I don't think that would be a viable option due to time and where I'm at... parking lot of where she's staying.
3. I think disabling the vehicle by GM would be a good option, but I think that ties into OnStar? If not, I'd be interested.
4. Repo companies... first, there aren't many if any in this local area, and they don't like to deal with personal repos due to liability and insurance issues. I've tried for hours to find someone. It's not worth their headache.
5. The car is normally locked via FOB. I'm never heard the alarm go off... Sounds like the horn will honk if you put in a new dealer key that's not programmed to the car?
5. Sounds like a 30 minute key relearn? Ouch...
6. Civil Court.. This might ultimately become a me filing against her and go to court, which is going to take forever and cost me financially for court, as well as continue to pay for the car, insurance and the legal liability of her driving. The system is broken.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
again I think you are WAY over thinking this, just have it towed to virtually anywhere "to your own driveway" stick the key in the ignition, turn it to run, let it sit 10 minutes until the security light goes out, turn it back to off wait a second, turn it back to run, let it sit 10 minutes until the security light goes out, turn the key back to off wait a second, turn it back to run and let it sit for 10 minutes until the security light goes out, turn it back to off wait a second, start the truck. that is a 30 minute relearn and it's 100% FREE, same dam thing the dealer will charge you probably $100 to do, mine charged me $39 on a "special" to do my 2018 but that is a completely different procedure because it requires at least 2 keys and I only had 1 key

OP
OP
F

fixmycar

Reaction score
OK, so I've spoken with a tow driver...and I don't know if he's trying to take me for my money, but he's yet to tow it. I keep getting different excuses from him. He's fully aware of the situation. This was the only tow driver I could find who would do it. None of the other ones want to get involved in personal repos...
In the state of Florida, you legally repossess your property but you cannot Breach the Peace in doing so. The issue is, if she comes outside and makes a scene and calls the police, there would be a breach of peace and that's what I'm trying to avoid. She would then hide the vehicle etc.

I can tell you I'm about to just go and take the license plate off at the very least. Have fun driving around with no license plate, and she can't get a new one as it's registered just to me.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, so what exactly is "breaching the peace", pretty sure if you pull up with a tow truck driver, hook it up and tow it away the only possible person breaching the peace is her if she saw what was happening and came outside and made a scene about it. Now if you go and do something stupid like bang on her door and mouth off some shit to her in the process then ya that's "breaching the peace" tow it away, keep your mouth shut in the process, simple.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so I've spoken with a tow driver...and I don't know if he's trying to take me for my money, but he's yet to tow it. I keep getting different excuses from him. He's fully aware of the situation. This was the only tow driver I could find who would do it. None of the other ones want to get involved in personal repos...
In the state of Florida, you legally repossess your property but you cannot Breach the Peace in doing so. The issue is, if she comes outside and makes a scene and calls the police, there would be a breach of peace and that's what I'm trying to avoid. She would then hide the vehicle etc.

I can tell you I'm about to just go and take the license plate off at the very least. Have fun driving around with no license plate, and she can't get a new one as it's registered just to me.
And what exactly are the police going to do if she makes a scene, arrest you? I don’t think so. Give you a ticket? What do you have to lose? Time to grow a set. Go get your vehicle before she gets drunk and kills someone and you REALLY pay the price because it would be you that gets sued. She can rack up thousands of dollars worth of parking tickets, tolls, etc and you will be the one that pays.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what exactly are the police going to do if she makes a scene, arrest you? I don’t think so. Give you a ticket? What do you have to lose? Time to grow a set. Go get your vehicle before she gets drunk and kills someone and you REALLY pay the price because it would be you that gets sued. She can rack up thousands of dollars worth of parking tickets, tolls, etc and you will be the one that pays.
lol, you read my mind @growaset haha I was just making a bagel going wtf this guy needs to grow a set

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667